Friday, April 3, 2009

A Major Breakthrough

This is Oswaldo. He started school about a month ago with a scholarship from the Public School's early childhood program. He speaks no English, only Espanol and he attends on Tuesdays and Fridays. Each time he has attended so far, not including today, he has cried the entire time, refused to take his coat or backpack off, and would push anyone away who tried to comfort him. It was stressful to have a crying child in the classroom while trying to teach a Bible story, read books, or have group time. The kids often referred to him as the kid who cries all the time.

But today was different. Oswaldo arrived by 7:25 which is 20 minutes too early. The principal let him in thinking he was there for day care. Luckily I was in my room because he was just dropped in there. I don't believe his caregiver speaks english either. I was already thinking it would be an especially long morning of tears, but the tide turned! Oswaldo took off his coat, a hoodie he had on, and his backpack and handed it all to me. He talked to me. Not sure what exactly he was saying, but that is true of many of my younger students and they speak english! Often times I have to just smile and nod and try to answer appropriately-it goes with the job description. Anyway we set up the train and proceeded to cause crashes. Oswaldo laughed so hard. It was a very good start to the day!
The rest of the morning went just as well. For the first time Oswaldo joined us in the Jesus circle, did all his art projects, and played our Easter games. These are the kind of moments that just warm a teacher's heart and help one realize just why it is that we teach! We have rounded the corner and I fully expect that Oswaldo will have very good days from now on.

On a different teaching note, I am telling my kids the Passion story. Everytime I have told it over the years I get the same reaction to the crown of thorns, the whippings, and the nails that Jesus endured for us. The kids get really quiet and their little eyes just get so big and full of concern. I take a long nail and show it to them and then press it on my hand. Again the same reaction year after year, "Don't put the nail in your hand!" Of course, we end our lesson with the good news that Jesus is alive and we will live eternally, too. And there is another reason that I love teaching. If God called one of these little ones home over the weekend, I know that they would be in heaven. And in the end, that is all that really matters! Even Oswaldo was repeating Jesus is alive at the end of our day today. So even if he doesn't learn another word of english he already knows the most important thing!

4 comments:

Verna said...

I got tears in my eyes, Sherri. This is great that he is finally coming around. Hopefully, next week will be good too.

Kim said...

I guess I am a lot like my mother. I too have tears in my eyes. What a happy and hopeful story!

madj said...

I have tearsin my eyes, too, but it might have something to do with the "Woody Allen" movie I'm watching.

Courtney and Paul said...

That was a great entry. I haven't been to your blog for a while and look what I'm missing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails