Friday, July 9, 2010

Meeting a real live hero!






About two or so years ago, I started following the caringbridge site of a little boy named Sam who had been critically injured in a riding lawn mower accident. I originally found out about Sam through an Ethiopian forum that I was following at the time to educate myself on adoptions in general and especially on Ethiopian adoptions. One day a post appeared asking for prayers for a little three year old and that my friends, was Sam.
He was med flighted to Children's Hospital in Milwaukee, my first clue that he was from this area of the state. As I began to read his mom's daily postings I realized that they lived in or near the Helenville, Sullivan area which is very close to Watertown. Sam's story is nothing short of a miracle. I eagerly read each new post as he began to heal. Sam had only been home here with his forever family for a few months when the accident occured so he had to do much of his bonding with hospital staff as opposed to bonding with his family in a home setting. It is difficult enough for a three year old to adjust to life in a new country, new home, with a new family, but imagine having to do it in a hospital recovering from a serious accident. Mind boggling to say the least.
Well, the story has a miraculous happy ending. Sam did lose both legs and an arm in the accident, but he came home to a waiting, loving family which included his biological brother, Paul and a few adopted sisters to boot. Surrounded by their love and care, he healed and adjusted and thrived. I didn't read the caringbridge site much anymore and his mom didn't update it much anymore, after all the serious medical stuff was pretty much over.

Well, here comes the exciting part of my post. Yesterday John and I were at Walmart doing our usual shopping. I noticed a black boy and an asian girl about Tiz's age. I figured they had both been adopted. I spotted their mom in the boys section. Didn't think much of it, I am just more aware of adopted children these days. John looked at me and I think we both had the same thought, is that Sam? I guess we noticed his "happy legs" as he calls them or maybe his arm which was in a sling, not sure, but we both just knew it was him.
I went over and asked if he was Sam. He flashed his big eyes and gorgeous smile and said, "Yes" while he offered his hand for a shake. I am pretty sure he gets treated as a celebrity wherever he goes as well he should. We chatted with his mom for a bit and admired his beautiful legs. He showed us how he can jump and run and he told us he likes the Badgers and the Packers.

I felt so happy and privileged to have met this little walking miracle. He is my hero! I am expecting he will do some pretty important things one day and I am going to say, "I met him one day in Walmart."

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails