Thursday, July 15, 2010

Some Random Adoption Thoughts from Grandma

A friend of mine with two adopted children, Lily and Eli shared this message on her FB status and I knew when I read it that I needed to do a post around it. I think it is a beautiful statement.

"We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life. But those who make their journey home across time and miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them, are carried on the wings of destiny and placed among us by God's very own hands."

What a miracle it has been to be a grandma to our precious Tizita. I could not love her more under any circumstances. I expected that to be the case, but with adoption being a new thing for me, I wasn't 100% sure what it would all feel like. Well, I don't have anything else to compare it to, you know, like the biological birth of a grandbaby, but I can't imagine it being any better than it is.
In ways it feels like Tizita has been a part of my life forever and I think in many ways she has been, in my hopes, in my dreams, in my longing for a grandchild. Mabye she didn't arrive in quite the way I envisioned, but she arrived! I will never forget the way she walked right into my life from that plane on that tarmack in Appleton. Such sweet memories.
In other ways, it seems like only yesterday that Tizita made that trip into my life. I guess that is because the memories are so fresh to me.

Tiz and I have done so much in the one and a half years she has been home. We have made memories, created traditions, and learned to appreciate each other. I cannot wait for her visits and her hugs and her wittiness. I miss her when she is not here and I always keep her close in my heart, thoughts, and prayers.

She already exhibits many of my characteristics, some desirable, some not so, but that is the way it is with learned habits. That is what a grandma teaches her grandchild, whether adopted or biological, right?

One other thing that I want to share with myself on this blog is that I do not see color. Before Tiz arrived I remember Courtney asking me if John and I would be okay with a black grandchild when it came to taking her out with us. The answer was easy at the time, but who really knew? Well, I am proud to say that I do not see color at all. Sometimes Tiz and I compare our palms and talk about how they are the same and I tell her I am trying to attain that pretty brown color from the sun this summer. She and I both know that the important stuff like our hearts and our feelings and our love for each other are the same. We are color blind!

We are waiting for our second grandchild. Courtney and Paul are on the waiting list and the list is long so the wait is going to be long, too, but we know that God already knows just who that child is going to be and there is comfort in that. We know God will take care of "our" grandchild until he/she is safe in the arms of all of us who love them. Mind boggling to think that God knew all about Tizita long before she was even a tiny thought in our minds and so it is with our second grandchild. As soon as I know more about a time line for this next child, I plan to write a special blog for him/her, too, just like I did for Tizita. Can't treat one differently than the other now, can I?

And so I enjoy Tiz and I wait...

3 comments:

madj said...

My feelings are the same! I fret when I discipline, hate when she cries and love when I can get her to laugh - and oh what a laugh. Even the "undesirable" qualities she has assimilated from you are a defining part of her wonderful personality. She is ours and always will be!

Kim said...

Where is the "like" button for this post? I'd like to use it ;o)

badger girl said...

what sweet sentiments. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails