Saturday, November 5, 2011

Saying Good bye to a "Good Friend"

I said my farewell to what seemed like a good friend last weekend.
When John and I purchased a new couch, chair and ottoman for our living room seven years ago, I never expected to become so attached to the chair.
I have never in my life taken ownership of a chair. In fact, I found it odd when my dad and other men I knew had to always sit in "their" chair. I remember how we respected my dad's chair. I never became attached to a piece of furniture prior to this particular chair. I used to sit on the couch, the rocker, the soft chair, the floor, the footstool, making the rounds never favoring one seat to another until this chair!
When we picked it out at Colder's all those years ago, it was because it matched the pretty blue/yellow flowered couch and it had a big ottoman with it. I don't even recall sitting in it to try it out, so I didn't buy it for any comfort factor.
That all changed when we got it home. Suddenly I started a love affair with that chair. It was big enough so that I could sit cross legged comfortably. It was so soft, I could almost get lost in its squishiness. I could see the TV and my computer perfectly from that chair. Now, for the first time in my life, I was understanding my dad and all those other men who had to have "their" chair.
My family respected my love affair with that chair, too. They would ask me if they could sit there and they would move when I came into the room out of respect for me and my chair.
Well, just like a relationship where one partner dies, my chair died a slow, but happy death. My brother's marinara spill, all the chocolate I added to that chair, the rips, fading, Diet Coke, and milk spills took their toll on it.
I considered recovering, but the cost seemed prohibitive. I covered it with a throw that never quite did the job.
Then last weekend while cleaning our John's folk's condo we found a replacement. A blue recliner rocker in excellent condition. That night we dragged my love, my best friend out to the curb. I said my good-byes and I am slowly adjusting to my new chair. It is not as comfy and I am not sure it will ever steal my heart, but maybe I am a one chair woman.
Out of respect, I am not posting any photos, just like at a funeral.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I just caught up on your blog and I really liked this post. I can understand the love for "your" chair and I hope you are settling in nicely with the new chair and thinking fondly of the old "good friend."

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails