Sunday, November 9, 2014

Celebrating my mom's 86th birthday in a big, fun way

My mom turned 86 on November 4.
She is still doing well both physically and mentally.
I am thankful to have her.  I know we are blessed.
She lives with us in the house that I grew up in and I am so thankful for that, too.
She folds my laundry (she is the best folder ever), irons our clothes, and I have yet to scrub a floor in this house in the fourteen years we have lived here.
She also cooks when I ask her to make things for us.
She fills the bird feeders, pulls weeds out of the gardens, and sweeps the driveway on a daily basis.
To be honest, there are times that she drives me crazy with her constant chatte while I am on the laptop and the TV is on full volume.  (She doesn't hear as well as she used to) but as my college roommate, who lost her mom a few months ago, said to me, "You will miss that chatter when she is gone."
I try to embrace it and most of the time, I am successful at it.
I do know I will miss it when that day comes.

We have celebrated my mom's birthday in many different ways over the years.
Recently we have spent the weekend up in Oshkosh, but this year we headed down to The Hunter House in Bloomington.  Now that Alissa and Nathan have a house, we can celebrate with them.
Kev, Vikki, Mallory, and Nic joined us, too.
Alissa planned a perfect celebration.
She baked a cake with homemade frosting which she felt had been a Pinterest fail, but it tasted so good even if she hadn't quite nailed the presentation.
We all had dinner at one of their favorite restaurants, Destihl brew house.  What a great choice.  We all enjoyed our food and they brought a birthday dessert of some mores.  There was enough melted chocolate, graham cookie things, melted marshmellows, and cinnamon cream for all of us to enjoy our own some more.
(I know I am not spelling that correctly, but I know you know what I mean)
Here are some photos of the great celebration.
 My mom and her three granddaughters.
 My brother Kevin and my SIL Nathan looking over the golf course which is in their backyard.
 Alissa and Nathan just got new furniture and we all loved it so much.
 Gigi opening her gifts from the girls.
 Deep discussion going on here.
 Opening the goody box.
 Lissa and Nathan got some awesome housewarming gifts, too.
 Here is the birthday cake
 All the guests except me and John.
 Helping Gigi blow out the candles.
 Tizita is trying very hard to get Gigi to talk while eating her cake.
We have a tradition that if you talk during the eating of your cake, you have to sit under the table. 
Many of us have been under the table many times. but Gigi made it without going under this time.
 Soliana entertained us with some guitar playing and singing.
 Tizita entertained us with some gymnastics.

 Enjoying our meal at Destihl.
 The yummy dessert.
The some more dessert.

It was a wonderful way to celebrate a wonderful lady.
I hope we will be able to celebrate many, many more birthdays with her.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails