Monday, September 5, 2016

The Summer is Officially Over

It's Labor Day weekend.
That bittersweet time of the year when we have to switch gears from the freedom of summer's laid back schedule to the daily "grind" of school and its more rigid schedule.
Tomorrow I will be going to my 37th first day as a teacher, add to that my 17 years as a student and I have had 54 first days of school.  Yikes!  You would think it would get easier and in many ways, it does, but I still get the first day jitters and I know it will be hard to sleep tonight.
I just want to get that first day under my belt and move on.
Stay tuned to see how it went.

I always like to do something special on Labor Day weekend to bring a fun end to summer.
We have done Galena, La Crosse, Bloomington, Red Wing, just to name a few.
This year, I was debating where we should spend this Labor Day weekend.
Well, as I was thinking about it, my friend, Terri, called and said they would be at a wedding in Elkhorn, heading home to Medford on Sunday.  We decided we would meet in Stevens Point for lunch on Sunday.
There was my destiniation.
Stevens Point.
I had heard that they had a great bike trail there called the Green Circle Trail, so we decided to take our bikes and ride.
We made reservations at a Day's Inn and took off.
It took us five hours to ride the entire 26 mile trail.  We were so happy to have done all those miles especially after a summer of no real bike riding.
The trail was wonderful.
It is divided into numerous sections each well labeled.
We went through woods, marshes, urban areas, parks, and along both the Plover and Wisconsin Rivers.
Each time the trail started to get a bit tedious, the trail would change and I got a new spurt of energy to keep going.
We will definitely do this trail again.
Here are some of my favorite photos from the trail.
 Beginning of the trail
 One area of the trail has chairs carved for the four seasons.  I am on the winter one.
 We saw this hawk along the way
 Nice little spot for a rest.
 This area has beautiful tall pines.
 The Plover River
 Our artistic photo
 Iverson Park, a fun little stop along the way.
 The WPA built these stone bridges.  We have a few of them at Riverside Park in Watertown, too.
 The Wisconsin River which runs along the trail for quite a distance.


 I liked how all the miles were marked along the trail.

 We ended in a sculpture park.
26 miles later, we were both still alive and ready to eat pizza and beer at a supper club.
My Lularoe outfit for the night out.

The next day we met Terri and Mark for lunch at the Hilltop pub.
We had a great visit as always.
It is as if no time passed when we get together with these dear old friends.

It was a great end to summer.
Now bring on the kids.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails