Tuesday, December 27, 2016

And, Just like that, it is all over!

The Van Aukens just left and, like always, I feel bittersweet.
Sweet because it was such a wonderful Christmas.
Bitter because it took months to plan, buy, decorate, and get ready and just like that, it was over!
I wonder why these holidays have to go so fast, but I know that is just how it is.
When we used to go to my parents, grandparents, and John's folks homes for Christmas, I never really felt like this.
I was always kind of glad when it was over and we could head home with our little girls and just be a family of four.  I am guessing my mom, John's mom, and my grandmas felt just like I do now!  
Everything is relative, I guess.

We started our celebration  on Friday, Dec. 23 in Oshkosh.
We had gone to church before that at St. John's to see the kids' program which was awesome.
We took my mom there to see Courtney's tree.
We met them at Red Robin and enjoyed a fun lunch before heading oer to see their tree.
It was a short visit because the Hunters were arriving here that evening.
We got home and they were here waiting with Mallory.
We all went out to Rock river Pizza and then to Fire Cracker, it was a great way to start our holiday.

On Saturday we went over to Kev's about 4:30 and enjoyed a great dinner, followed by gift opening and then beers in the basement bar.
So many great laughs.
Kev was in rare form and we didn't even feel like we had to leave, stayed till midnight.
Here are a few photos from that night:








On Christmas Day, the Van Auken family arrived about 11:00.
Gifts to the girls were opened and enjoyed all day long.
We got Tiz a sewing machine for her item wanted and a clubhouse for Soli's wanted item.  
We got both of them a gym mat for their thing needed.
Those three items were very popular.
We all spent some time in the clubhouse with Soli and we all tried our hand at sewing.
There were countless routines on the mat, too.
My mom gave Soli a Barbie camper and accessories, another very popular gift.  Again, we all took turns playing with Barbie.
Gigi, my mom, gave Tiz a sewing basket with lots of sewing supplies which came in very handy, too.
Great gifts all around.









We enjoyed a dinner prepared by Nathan and Paul.
Nathan made the prime rib roast and Paul made the mashed potatoes.
It was a very yummy feast.


Then it was time for the couple's exchange which included a yard ornament for each couple.
It was fun as usual and included lots of beers.
 Courtney had my name and bought me this cute shirt and leg lamp earrings.
 I had Paul and bought him a t shirt and a book
 Paul bought Nathan a bottle of beer
 Nathan bought Courtney a gift certificate to a favorite store and
John bought Alissa some tasting glasses, a picture, and some coasters while Alissa bought John an Illinois Wesleyan hoodie.
Great gifts all around!

The Hunters left after lunch on Monday.
We did some more sewing and played games until today when the Van Aukens left.

So much fun, but still so bittersweet.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails