Thursday, March 11, 2010

A week of Donkeys and Whales

It has been a very exciting week in Preschool. I don't know why this happened (probably poor planning on the teacher's part) but two very big, fun activities happened to fall during the same week. We rode our homemade donkeys and went whale watching all in the same week. From Jerusalem to the Arctic Ocean all in a matter of hours!
Tizita was a part of all the fun. She has changed so much since she started Preschool in September. She now enjoys playing with all her little friends and spends very little time around me like she used to. I love to just sit back and watch her interacting with them. I know how lucky I am to have my granddaughter in my class. It is very unusual for your grandma to be your Preschool teacher.
Anyway back to donkeys and whales. One of my parents said, "Did you ride the donkeys to the sea to watch whales?" I had to say, "No, silly, we rode the donkeys to Jerusalem and rode a boat to whale watch!"
We put on the play about Jesus riding into Jerusalem. Here Carsen (number 83) is playing the part of Jesus while Gavin and Tizita are the two disciples who had to go and untie the donkey for Jesus to ride. Here they are waiting patiently for their part in the play.
Here Jesus, Carsen is riding the donkey while the two disciples march behind him. The children on the chairs are waving palms and singing, "Hosanna."
Here Tizita is part of the group of people in Jerusalem waiting for Jesus to ride into town. They are holding their palm leaves. You may notice that Tizita has a plastic palm branch as opposed to the paper ones the other girls have. Well, that is my branch, but Tiz helped herself to it when my back was turned! Perks of being the teacher's granddaughter, I suppose.
After a few reenactments of the Bible story we all ride our homemade donkeys around the school and sing a few Hosanna songs. I think the kids remember this Bible story for a long time because of all the fun activities we do with the story.
Later in the day we rode our elevator boat to begin our whale watching trip. We ended up in the cafeteria on this other boat. Her we are looking through our binoculars trying to spot a few whales. It was a very successful trip since we all ended up with a paper whale to take home with us.
Such a fun week, add to that the beautiful weather and the world seems pretty good even though John is still unemployed. He has some irons in the fire though and I think something will come along when the time is right.




1 comment:

Courtney and Paul said...

Tizita definitely knows this Bible story, though she was calling it a horse instead of a donkey for a while!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails