Friday, August 29, 2014

An anniversary, an ALS challenge, and a new patio

 First of all, I want to give a shout out to Alissa and Nathan who are celebrating six years of wedded bliss on August 30.
They had a beautiful wedding in a chapel on the Illinois Wesleyan campus and a reception on the campus of Illinois State.  It was nice how they could bring both their colleges together for the celebration.
It was on the day after their wedding, that Courtney and Paul left to bring Tizita home from Ethiopia.
So much excitement in such a short time.


Happy Memories all around.
Alissa and Nathan just recently purchased their first home and we are waiting patiently for them to be settled so we can go down and see it.

Now on to the ALS ice bucket challenge which has taken social media by storm.
I really wasn't expecting to be nominated, but one morning as I checked FB I saw that Angie Uttech had indeed nominated me.
Since I was at Courtney's at the time, Tizita helped me with the challenge.
I am not able to post the video on here, but I did post a picture just to remember the moment.
After I did my challenge, Tizita did hers and Mallory also did it after I nominated her.
It is controversial in that the research for ALS supposedly uses embryonic stem cells, but my feeling is that you can still take the challenge to raise awareness of this awful disease and then decide where you would like your donation to go.
Some people even complained about the clean water being wasted to dump on heads.
That doesn't even warrant an argument.
Let it go, people!

And finally, John and I decided it was time to enlarge our patio.
We are quite pleased with the finished product and look forward to many happy times spent on our new bigger patio.


 John used my dad's old bricks from an old portion of the patio to make this cute little walkway.
We also saw remnants of my dad's old patio made out of rocks when they repaired a crack in the cement on the existing cement.
Happy memories of that man buried all over this house.

So, this weekend we are heading to Sauk City for the annual cow chip throw.
If John had never worked for Kapitan in Sauk City, we would never have known about this charming little town on the Wisconsin River where the cow chips are thrown each Labor Day.
I will be back after our weekend.

 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails