Sunday, September 21, 2014

A weekend of beer, wine, rummaging, and old friends

We are coming off of another fun filled weekend.
This time it did not include the grandkids.
I need to remember that weekends can be full of great times even without them included.
This weekend brought that home to me.
On Friday night we met Kev and Vikki at Rock River Pizza.  We found two gift cards that they had given us as payment for taking photos at their wedding almost a year ago, so our meal was paid for with the gift cards.
After a few beers there with our food, we went over to Lyons Irish Pub and had a few more beers, at least Kev and I did.  Vikki and John were the designated drivers, so they couldn't indulge as much as Kev and I could.  We had a great brother/sister bonding over a few too many beers.  There was lots of fun conversation about our old relatives, always funny stories there.
It was a great night and I could tell by the way I felt the next morning, but a refreshing shower and a glass of milk took care of that.
Mallory texted and asked if I wanted to go rummaging at the city wide sale with her.
Since I can never pass up a good sale or a chance to hang out with Mallory, we did just that.
One treasure that we found was this boot.
Oh, the memories of a boot just like this and a night at the Essen Haus in Madison.
In case you don't know about the boot, it comes filled with beer and you pass it around the table taking turns drinking from it.  When the beer gets down near heel level, there is a burst or air bubble type thing that happens and you can get sprayed with the beer.
It is a fun experience, for sure.
Well, we had just gotten our filled boot and no one knows exactly what happened next, but that boot walked, by itself right toward the edge of the table, where it broke into a zillion pieces, many of which were on me and in my coat pockets.
My coat was soaked with beer as were my jeans.
We (Alissa, Courtney (who had pink eye at the time, Paul, John and I) high tailed it out of the bar and fled to our motel.  It didn't help that is was well below zero that night.
Too funny!
I was picking glass our of my coat pockets for weeks after that incident.
We have gone back and successfully used the boot since the incident.
.So when Mal saw this boot at one of the sales for $7.00 we could not pass it up.
We also found a few other little items but nothing close to this treasure.

After rummaging for a few hours, John and I left for dinner at Doe and John's house in Waukesha with my college roommate, Joan.
Doe served the prize winning state fair "very dairy" lasagna.
It was yummy.  I brought a salad and a dessert and Joan had brought a appetizer.
We all brought wine.
It was a good night filled with wine, conversation, and good friends.
We had not seen Doe and John since Christmas 2012 so it was high time to catch up with them and it is always a pleasure to visit with Joan.
Here we are at the end of the night.
We all agreed that the sixty of today is very, very much different from the sixty of our mothers' generation.
In other words, we look hot for old chicks!

Today, Sunday, it is church, then the Packers, then some meal prep for next week, some school prep, and a relaxing evening.
Good times all around.

1 comment:

madj said...

It WAS a good weekend, well, except for that "Packer thing". Not so enjoyable, that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails