Wednesday, January 14, 2015

22 Things you may or may not know about my niece, Mallory


For anyone who follows my blog, you know that I have a very special niece, Mallory.
In many ways, Mallory has felt like a third daughter to me.  She has been a part of all of my major life happenings and my daughters love her as a sister.
She turned 22 on December 13 before I had started this "list" of things you may or may not know, so I wanted to do a "list" for her, too.

  1. I am Mallory's Godmother as well as her Aunt.  Maybe that is why she has felt so much like a daughter to me.  Her Godfather's name is Jerry, another Godmother was Bari and then there was me, Sherri.  Isn't it crazy how our names all rhymed?
  2. Mallory taught me all I know about Toon Town.  One summer I paid the monthly fee so we could play without any restrictions.  She was so good at getting into those cog factories and no matter how hard I tried, I was not very successful at it.  I miss Toon Town at times.
  3. Another favorite video game for Mal and I  was The Sims.  I had the most awesome house built and a wonderful Sims family until disaster struck and the CD got stuck in my computer.  I had to take a hammer to it, (of course, I did) and I ruined the whole thing and never saw my Sims family or home again.
  4. Mallory was born on a Sunday in the middle of our cookie baking.  My mom, in all the excitement, understood her name to be Valerie.  We all headed up to the hospital with cookies in tow to meet this sweet Valerie.
  5. Mallory is allergic to nuts, strawberries, and a few other things.  She once ate fries that were made in peanut oil. Who knew that Hooters made their fries in peanut oil?  Who takes a little girl to Hooters in the first place?  At any rate, she did survive the peanut fried fries, but she is very careful about what she eats and for good reason.
  6. Mallory was a cheerleader/dancer at St. John's while I was her coach for a year or two and Courtney was her coach for a few years, too.  It was fun to be able to coach her and her friends.
  7. Mallory's dad's house had a pool and we all spent countless days in that pool.  I miss those days.  There were so many rafts and toys in that pool.  We had lots of diving contests picking up many little things from the bottom of the pool.  At one point, Mallory and my girls named all the little toys that we dove for.
  8. Mallory helped me with many crafting projects.  Our most successful were coasters that we made or maybe I just like to think they were successful.  She always made fun of me because I am known to use a lot of glue.
  9. Mallory has played every mini golf course in Door County at least once.  She invented the famous "hole in one" pose that we still use whenever we play mini golf.
  10. Mallory loves animals and has had many beloved pets over the years.  This is one way she is very different from my daughters.  She also has a soft spot for old people and doesn't care much for children, that makes her very different from me.
  11. Mallory took ballet lessons for many years and I always enjoyed watching her recitals, well, as much as I enjoy watching anyone's recitals.  I think, sometimes, she is sorry she had to give up dance when other activities took over.
  12. Mallory took years of piano lessons.  I think she disliked them as much as my girls did and I am not sure any of them can play a note anymore.
  13. We waited a long time for Mallory to turn 21 so she could join in the adult fun our family has been known to have on occasion.
  14. Mallory is a big sports fan.  She loves the Bucks, Blackhawks, Brewers, and the vintage Bulls.  Actually, it appears she likes teams that begin with a "B".
  15. Mallory has a great sense of humor.  She understands Uncle John's jokes which he has always appreciated.  He always says that Mallory had a very adult sense of humor.  Even as a young child, she got it.  Her Uncle John is also very proud of her political beliefs.
  16. John and I loved taking Mallory to museums, zoos, parks, and other fun places.  She filled the void that was left when our girls got too old to enjoy those places with us.  She was always so well behaved and enjoyable on these outings.
  17. Mallory was a bridesmaid in Courtney's wedding on the beach in Florida and a bridesmaid in Alissa's wedding on the Illinois Wesleyan campus.
  18. Mallory spent much of her childhood in bars but as far as I can tell, it has left no ill effects and has left all of us with many memories.
  19. Mallory visited both Knox College and Illinois Wesleyan University with us many, many times.  I always appreciated that her parents allowed us to take her for all those weekends so that Alissa and Courtney could see her when they were away at college.
  20.  Mallory has been blessed with the ability to face confrontations and speak her mind.  I have only done that once in a Forever 21 store just after Mallory's Louie Vuitton almost took my eye out.  I don't think she or my girls could believe what went on in that store.
  21. Mallory has been to Chicago with the girls and me a few times.  She was the only one in our group who knew which direction we should be going.  She also bought a nude footie to try on some shoes.   I refused Diet Coke, but gladly took a tart which turned out to be rancid.  I think someone almost had their arm broken in the American Girl Store, too.  Such good memories.
  22.  Mallory has a giving heart and enjoys supporting many charities through walks, runs, plunges, and purchases. She also has more best friends than anyone else I know.  On her birthday, many of her FB wishes were "to my best friend."
So, there you have it,
22 things about Mallory.
It has been such a pleasure to share so much of Mallory's life and to have her be such a big part of my life.
I cannot wait to see what the future holds for her.
Love Ya, Mallory!






No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails