Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Happy Birthday to Alissa!

35 years ago I had my second baby girl.
Alissa was due on Christmas, but she chose to make us wait until January 7 to meet her.
She has always followed her own agenda and that trait started at her late birth.
In those days, in our rural hospital in Elkhorn, there were no inductions, no fetal monitors, no fancy gadgets.
Birth was simple just like I wanted it to be.
We arrived at the hospital at about 6:45 on a Monday morning.
I knew that baby was ready to be born and by 6:50 she was here.
Too bad there was no doctor present in the entire hospital at that time of the morning.
Alissa was delivered by a nurse, but I am guessing our doctor still got paid.
I asked to go home the next morning.
I saw no need to be in a hospital that had no doctors.
They obliged and we took our second baby home.
On John's 60 birthday, I listed 60 things that you may or may not have known about him and I am going to do the same thing today for Alissa.
Mind you, Alissa does not even read my blog, so she probably will never see the list, but I am going to do it anyway.  Thank you to those of  you who did come by to read it.

35 Things you may or may not know about Alissa
  1. Alissa was going to be named Noelle, but when Christmas came and went without a baby, we searched a baby name book for a new name.  We did not want the name Noelle to be a constant reminder that she was late.  We both, independently wrote down our ten favorite names from that book.  The name Alissa appeared on both lists.  We had never heard the name before and we both liked it a lot.  Alissa it was!  And she is much more of an Alissa than a Noelle.
  2. Alissa was a biter for about a year of her life from 1 -2.  She wasn't fussy about who she bit, she bit everyone and anyone.  It was embarrassing as a mom, but I just followed her around and kept her little friends safe.
  3. Alissa learned to read by the time she was three.  I am sure she was reading at a third grade level by kindergarten.  She learned to read from my grandma who took care of her when I was teaching preschool.  They read Dick and Jane books together.
  4. Alissa was born with a full head of hair.  By 5 months she was in pig tails and by age two her hair was down past her butt.
  5. A duck or some kind of bird once pooped on Alissa.  I can't remember the details right now, but I clearly remember that happening.
  6. Alissa's best friend all through her childhood was her sister, Courtney.  They never ventured out to meet any neighbor kids because they preferred to be with each other.   Actually, I think they are still best friends.
  7. I got really mad at Alissa one day when she refused to wear any hand me downs from her sister.  I may or may not have shaken her a bit and a call from a friend may or may not have saved her that day.
  8. Two weeks after the above day, she dragged all the garbage bags of clothes out of her closet and started wearing them.  Everything had to be on her own terms.  I could have saved myself many headaches if I had just respected that one simple fact.
  9. Alissa has a great sense of humor, she got it from her dad.
  10. Alissa started swimming competitively for WAT when she was just six years old.  At her first big meet in Hartland she fell into the pool before the start.  That would usually be an instant disqualification, but they took pity on her, and let her be part of the race.
  11. Alissa went to Camp Phillip because I made her go.  She did not enjoy it.
  12. Alissa was called up on stage at summerfest by Ronald McDonald when she was six.  I didn't even have a camera to document this moment.  She was actually up there for a good twenty minutes.
  13. Alissa turned me on to reality TV
  14. Alissa was a cheerleader in 5th and 6th grade.  She looked cute in the uniform, but her cartwheels left much to be desired.
  15. Alissa is very much like my brother Kevin.  The older she got, the more she reminds us of him.  This can be a good or bad thing.
  16. Alissa had to have some oral surgery on a growth thing behind her front teeth before she could get her braces.
  17. Alissa never did enjoy small children.  She never babysat.
  18. Alissa's first job was at the concession stand at the Watertown Aquatic Center.
  19. After a year in the concession stand, Alissa became a lifeguard.  One summer she and her sister were the Head Guard and Manager of the Aquatic Center.  I am still in awe of the fact that the entire pool was run by the Damman sisters that summer.
  20. Alissa visited a few colleges before choosing Illinois Wesleyan.  She would not consider Coe because it sounded like Toe.
  21. Alissa's roommate had a window from a fraternity house fall on her on the first or second day of school.   Alissa took care of her and I think if helped bond them for life.
  22. Alissa did not go to High school dances after her sophomore year.  She pretty much checked out of the stuff of High School after that year.  She always kept her grades up though.
  23. Alissa would make an excellent personal shopper especially for old people.  She is so good at helping my mom pick out outfits.
  24. Alissa does not like raccoons, especially after one climbed up on her apartment balcony and tried to get into her house with his little human hands.
  25. Actually, truth be told, Alissa does not like animals much at all.
  26.  Alissa met her husband met at a bar in Bloomington.  She kept him a secret from me for a few months.
  27. Alissa calls Bloomington her home now and has built a wonderful life there with Nathan.  They recently bought a beautiful new home and have a busy social life.
  28. Alissa's first job, out of college, was for Health Drive where she had to deal with dentures, hearing aids, and glasses for old people.  For those of you who know Alissa, this is about the last thing she would ever want to deal with, but bills had to be paid.
  29. Alissa traveled to England with a High School group.  It was in a day before cell phones or email and we didn't hear from her for two very long weeks.
  30. Alissa has always had great stories to share about her co workers.  Didn't matter where she was employed, there were always stories.
  31. Alissa lived in Milwaukee for a few years after college and in her first years of marriage.  Alissa and Nathan embraced life in the big city.
  32. Alissa loves beer and dislikes wine.  She and Nathan were regulars at the Miller Brewery Tour.
  33. Alissa made wonderful life long friends in college.
  34. Alissa is the only one in our family who ever gets strep throat.
  35.  Alissa has some OCD tendencies which she most likely inherited from me.
So, there you have it.
35 things about Alissa on her 35 birthday.
I want to thank her for being such a fun loving, caring, crazy daughter.
I want to wish her the best day ever on this birthday.
























No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails