Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Riverfest Redefined

I remember the very first Riverfest, it was actually our city's sesquacentennial (I think).
My girls were pre teens (maybe 8 and 10 or so.
They asked to go hang out at the rides with friends.
I remember pointing in a vague direction and saying, "Meet us there."
I had no idea that so many, many people would crowd into our little park that night to hear one of the popular bands.
The vague little meeting spot was filled with people upon people.
There was no way we would find our girls there.
Luckily, my mom lives up on the hill that overlooks the park.  ( We live there now)
The girls were smart and walked up to my mom's at the agreed upon meeting time.
And that is how it all started.
 
Riverfest has continued to attract crowds of people who come to enjoy the great food, beer, music, rides, and entertainment.
John and I have enjoyed many, mnay Riverfests.
The beer has always gone down so easily in that beautiful atmosphere.
It has always been fun to run into old friends and catch up on our lives.
Over the years we have watched children grow and now we get to see grandchildren at Riverfest.
 
I have way too many memories to even try and list them here, but suffice it to say I have had lots of fun over the years at Riverfest.

We looked so forward to sharing Riverfest with our grandchildren.
We did that as soon as Tizita was old enough to join us.
John and I always enjoyed at least one night of drinking and adult fun without them in tow, but this year was different and I didn't even miss the adult part of Riverfest.
Maybe I am finally getting too old for all that beer drinking and loud music and crappy bathrooms!

We only went down to the park on Sunday afternoon to let Soliana and Tizita ride the rides.
We gladly paid the $20.00 each for them to ride for four hours.
They loved it and got every penny's worth out of that money.
We, luckily ran into two little girls from St. John's who were the same ages as Tiz and Soli.
Now the big girls could ride the big rides and the little ones could enjoy the smaller rides.
It was a great Riverfest,
Different, but great.






 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails