Sunday, May 22, 2016

A Visit to the Hunters and a few State Parks

We just returned from a great weekend at the Hunter House in Bloomington.
I missed going down there for Mother's Day as in previous  years, so I suppose you could call this a late Mother's celebration.
On the way down, John and I stopped a Matthiesson State Park.  We had planned on stopping at Starved Rock until Alissa's friend Kim facebooked me and told me about the other state park in the same area so we decided to try something new.  It did not disappoint. 
We had to park in the overflow because everyone and their brother from central Illinois were apparently visiting the park that day.
The weather was gorgeous.
We hiked to the Lower and Upper Dells areas.
We had to cross the river a number of times.
Sometimes they had placed nice big cement circle rocks in the stream so crossing was easy, but other crossings were not so easy and I finally just decided to step right in the water and take the wet shoes over trying to stay on the rocks and logs.
We hiked over 12000 steps, four miles and three hours.
Here are a few photos from our fun day:








After our hike, we headed to Alissa and Nathan's house.
As usual, it was beautiful and we had a relaxing fun time just what I needed!
We had dinner and beers outside at Mugsy's.
After that, we had a few more beers on their deck and then we moved the party inside and had a musicfest.
It was a good night.





On our way home today, we stopped at Carved Rock State Park near Rockford.  Again just about everyone in that part of Illinois was there, but it is another very pretty park.
After a short hike, we enjoyed Fazoli's.  Perfect way to end a perfect weekend.


Tomorrow I start my last week of school for this school year.
The time went so quickly, but I am so ready for summer.
Bring it on.

Tomorrow would also be my dad's 88th birthday.
He died 26 years ago.
We miss him, but never wish him back.
We will see him soon enough.
 
 

 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails