Monday, July 11, 2016

And Here Starts the Longest Two Weeks of My Life

Courtney, Paul, and the girls left for Ethiopia today.
They have made it to Chicago, one leg down with millions to go.
Tomorrow in the wee hours of the morning they fly to D.C. and then on to Ethiopia.
Some 20 hours later, they will arrive there.
This is so wrong to me on so many levels.
First of all, who needs to go to Ethiopia, especially with a five and nine year old in tow.
I get that they want to show the girls their culture, but one can do that with google.
Secondly, our world is in great unrest.  There are black vs. white tensions all over our country.
Things are not pretty right now.
Terrorists are all over, bombing.
They like to target airports, big airports like Chicago and D.C.
In my humble opinion this is no time to be leaving our country.
The closer to home, the better.

While in Ethiopia, they will be touring the countryside with a tour guide/van driver and an interpreter.
All alone in a van with two people they don't know, yeah, that sounds safe enough, right?
I am sure Ethiopians view all Americans as rich and why wouldn't they take an opportunity to rob them, take the girls, and leave the rest for dead.
Okay, I admit that I let my imagination get the best of me. It's a curse more than a blessing.
My motto has always been, "Hope for the best, expect the worst, and roll with the punches."  So in light of that philosophy, I need to expect the worst so I don't get blindsided by some tragedy.

Oh, and dare I forget that long airplane ride.
The things that could go wrong on a flight that long are endless.
Just the boredom alone could kill one.
It seems to me it is child abuse to make a kid be on a plane that long, Ugh!
So, as I enter the longest two weeks of my life, please think of me, say a prayer for my sanity, and send positive vibes my way.
I will need all the help I can get.

And, did I mention that Courtney is terrible at texting, messaging or FBing.
She will blame it on the poor wi fi connections, but I know one can make contact from Ethiopia.
The real reason is that she is bad at contacting people, well, maybe mostly her mother, and when you add that to my already horrid scenarios, it makes for a long, stressful two weeks.

So, come back and check on me in two weeks, sooner if you want and you can find out how this whole story ends.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails