Monday, May 17, 2010

Alissa, Me, and Beauty Pageants

Ever since I can remember, Alissa and I have enjoyed watching Beauty pageants together. I guess it is like a train wreck and we just cannot look away. We have strict rules about our viewing of the pageant which include picking your "winner" as soon as the first cut is made. This cut is made at either 15 or 10 contestants depending on which pageant you are watching. Once picked, you are not allowed to change your choice under any circumstances, so you must choose wisely.
Last night, the Miss USA pageant was on and even though Alissa was in Milwaukee at her home and I was here, we knew we would both be watching and picking our personal favorites. Alissa's computer was down so we had to converse via cell phone instead of Facebook. Even Nathan and John took part in our contest. No less than five or six phone calls were made to exchange comments just as if we were in the same room.
As it turned out, Nathan chose the big winner, Miss Michigan. I, personally thought she resembled a hooker and John feels she was only chosen because she is Iranian or something like that. He turns it all into politics which truth be told, it probably is. Alissa went with Kansas first, but when she didn't make the top ten from fifteen we bent the rules and let her choose again. Almost unheard of. She chose Maine which I thought was ridiculous. Who even considers Maine a state and no winner will ever come from there just like Wyoming or Montana, why do they even enter?
One thing I observed was that almost all the contestants had dark brown or black long hair. What happened to the blondes in our country?
I chose California because I feel they usually do pretty well, but alas she let me down and didn't even make the top five. John chose Colorado who wore her blondish hair in a ponytail the entire night. Not sure I like that so much, but she did come in third or fourth.
While I was enjoying the drama of the pageant, I totally missed the final night of Survivor. How did that happen? Disappointing for sure, but I caught up today online.
Anyway getting back to the pageant. The questions were so lame as usual. The only answer that really makes any sense to the judges is, "World peace." I know if I were up there, I would answer that to every question.
I want to thank Alissa for opening my eyes to the world of beauty pageants and the proper way to view them.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails