Thursday, October 14, 2010

Innocent friendships of Preschoolers

I just get such a warm, fuzzy feeling when I look at this picture of two very sweet Preschool friends. The look of perfect contentment on Tizita's face as she rests her head on her friend, Carlee's shoulder is priceless to me. Is there anything so comforting as the shoulder of a friend? Preschool friendships are like this innocent, unassuming, blind, and very. very simple.

I also feel a bit sad when I look at this photo because I know what lays ahead for these two beauties as they grow older. (Well, I am not a fortune teller who can foresee the future, but I have raised two daughters, was a girl myself, and have been witness to many adolescent friendships) I know what happens to innocent friendships as the drama sets in and it is not pretty. How will Tizita's friends treat her as she gets older and they discover some very basic differences? I can bet they will not all offer her a reassuring shoulder to lean on when times get tough. Same thing will happen to Carlee as she grows up, although her challenges may be a bit less complicated than Tizita's or not.

I wish I could freeze this feeling and this point in time so that these two Preschool friends would never feel the pain of friendships gone wrong, but we all go through it and we all survive it and when we get through all that drama of middle and high school, we will find friends again on the other side who will give us that sweet shoulder to lean on. I hope these two somehow could continue this friendship, but time and distance will prevent that from happening, but nothing will take away these memories of that first best friend who touched us in such a special way.



1 comment:

Kim said...

That is a very sweet picture. Good post Sherri. Makes me think back to my first friends and remember how sweet it is to have my friends I do now.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails