Saturday, April 9, 2011

Of cemeteries, garages, and attics

It started out as a cloudy, cool Saturday but that did not stop us from cemetery duty. It was time to remove the Christmas decor and bring on the spring flowers. We started with my grandma and grandpa's grave. Granny gets purple flowers since purple was one of her favorite colors, the other favorite being brown. Lots of good memories come flooding back as we visit the gravesites. Next stop was my other grandparents, Ohma and Ohpa. Ohpa died when my mom was just nine years old so I never knew him. He was a Lutheran school teacher in Clyman, WI. He taught in a one room school house and my mom and my uncle were his students. When he died, his wife, Ohma took over teaching until they could get another teacher and she had had no formal training. Different times back then for sure.
Then it was on to my dad's grave. I found these bright and cheery flowers at the Dollar Tree, so for just $6.00 I was able to do the entire heart. I know my dad would have loved the bright colors. One year he bought a whole bunch of artificial flowers to put around our birdbath instead of planting real. They were all bright, assorted and colorful. We laughed about it because it looked like a graveyard. Funny man, funny memories. I miss him.
Here is the flag that John and I bought at Stein's a few weeks ago. So far there is only one other flag on the cemetery. I expect to see many more in the near future since we are trendsetters on the cemetery. We were the first with a heart shaped stand, now there are many. We were the first to wind the flowers around the stand and now many people do that, too. So I am expecting many flags. We don't mind that people copy our ideas though, it makes for a very pretty cemetery.

This is the little plaque that sits by his grave. It was attached to a wooden cross when we first bought it, but it fell off of that so now it just sits there. I like what it says.
One casualty was a cut to John's finger from the wire. Oh well, he is tough and it did not slow us down in the least.
After the cemetery duties, we tackled the garage. It had been full of junk that accumulated over the winter. With our new big recycling and garbage cans we had lots of space to throw the stuff we got rid of. Kind of funny that we have more toys and riding things than we did when our girls were growing up.
Our yard is coming alive with new spring flowers.

Finally, I ventured up into the attic to check out what we have up there. I have always loved exploring the attic. It is filled with so many treasures and happy memories. That is my Patty Play Pal doll which neither of my girls wanted anything to do with. I loved that doll but since she lost her hand, no one cared for her. I think I will introduce her to Tizita and see what she thinks.
Another veiw of the attic.
I did bring Courtney's Barbie pool down so I could clean it up and show it to Tizita. I know she will enjoy filling it with water and letting the Barbies go swimming.
The perfect end to our day, our first grilled brats of the season. Yummy!
What a productive, fun Saturday!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails