Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Good bye summer, Hello Puzzle Pieces

Last night we had registration at St. John's.
Registration is a bittersweet time.
It means the lazy, relaxed days of summer are quickly coming to a close.
It means I have to get things ready for my new students.
It is sad to think that summer is winding down.
It is exciting to think that I have a brand new bunch of Puzzle Pieces coming into my classroom.
 
My students love to work on puzzles together.
It is fun to see their concentration as they work at trying to fit pieces together.
It is rewarding to see their pride as they see a picture forming from their hard work.
 
My students are like those puzzle pieces.
Everyone of them is different, different ages, different sizes, different colors, different stories, different on so many levels just like the pieces of a puzzle.
Yet, each one of them is special and has a unique spot in the puzzle.
The puzzle cannot be  complete without each and every piece.
My class cannot be complete without each and every student.
Together we make a beautiful picture.

Some puzzle pieces fit in the middle surrounded by many more pieces while some stay on the outside farther away from the center pieces.
So it is with my kids, some are right in the center of things, outgoing and leading the pack.
Others are on the outside, a bit on the shy, quiet side just taking it all in.

No matter where they fit in the puzzle, they are all important.
The picture cannot be complete without all of them.

I want to be the kind of teacher that recognizes all these differences and embraces them all.
I want to teach the children to value themselves no matter where they fit in the puzzle.
I want to teach them that they are all very special children of God and he values each one of them equally.
I want to teach them tolerance and kindness for the other puzzle pieces who are different than they are, to embrace those differences and love each other not in spite of those differences but because of them.

Hard life lessons for adults, but much easier for little ones.
To them each puzzle piece is pretty and necessary to complete the whole picture.

So, putting together a puzzle is going to take on a whole new meaning this year.
They will work together on the big floor puzzles that are so popular.
I will work on putting together the big puzzle with all the beautiful little pieces that are my students.
I will help them discover where they fit in that big picture.
They are not yet sure what kind of pieces they are.
I want to help them figure that out.

Best of luck to all the students who are beginning school in the next few days,
Whether it is pre k or grad school, may your year be blessed with puzzles that fit together in the best way possible.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails