Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Peace before the Storm

Today is Christmas Eve.
I have waited and planned for this day for a long time.
I have carefully picked out gifts for Soliana and Tizita, wrapped them with care, and last night, John and I placed them under the tree.
I have so many happy memories of Christmas morning (yes, I realize this is a day early, but circumstances change with growing families) both when I was growing up and when the girls were younger.
It was always such a magical day as my brother and I would catch that first glance of the gifts under our tree.
My dad would take the mandatory photo in the archway, which we still do in the very same house in which I grew up.
One of my fondest memories of my dad is how he treasured those Christmas mornings with just the four of us.
It was a special time.
We did the same with our girls as they grew up.
Christmas morning was always just for our family, the four of us and it was magical.
Today, I am hoping to recreate those special mornings for Soli and Tizita and give them some memories to cherish in years to come.
Because they live farther away we have to make some compromises in the plan, but the feelings will still be the same.
Last night after driving through Candy Cane Lane and seeing all the beautiful Christmas lights, we came home with the girls and I put them to bed while John brought up all the presents and put them under our tree.
While Santa has never been the center of our Christmas, he did bring these gifts this year and he left some messages for Soli and Tizita.  It is all part of the magic.
Santa never played a big part in any of the past Christmases either, but he is still there in the background.
We saw him walking the street in Candy Cane Lane last night and we called out to him, he waved to us, that was magical for the little girls.
So, I hear some little footsteps approaching, time to go.
Merry Christmas everyone and take time to enjoy the magic of the season.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails