Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Garden news 2011

I am not sure if I can blame this year's garden or lack thereof on the hot temps, lack of rain, or human laziness that let weeds take over. I like to think it was a combination of all these elements. I do wonder why weeds can grow even despite the hot, drought conditions. At any rate, today I went out to look over the land and I harvested a few vegetables. We have a bumper crop of tomatoes, many of our tomato plants from last year reseeded themselves and they are growing like crazy. Apparently, tomatoes thrive in the hot, dry conditions. I cannot say the same for our peas. I actually purchased pea plants from Ebert's instead of growing them from seed thinking that would speed up the process, but the peas just sort of dried up and I think if I ate a dozen that was it. Oh well, next year it is back to seed for peas.
Our cucumbers are growing nicely. I also started them from plants, but I think the seeds just did as well last year. We only had a few carrots that actually grew. I am going to make a beef roast tomorrow and use the carrots and onions in that. We did have a great early harvest of lettuce, spinach, and radishes. Of course, I planted the lettuce and spinach too early to actually use in a salad with our cukes and tomatoes. Next year, lettuce and spinach later. So, there you have it, in a nutshell. Not a great garden year, except for the tomatoes, but there is always next year to impove upon our harvest.



1 comment:

Kim said...

I think what you got out of the garden looks great.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails