Sunday, July 24, 2011

Jersey Boys vs. Cats-A Simple Comparison

Yesterday John and I went to see the Broadway play, Jersey Boys at the Marcus Center in Milwaukee. It was an awesome show with great music. Of course, my favorite song is Sherry, which was originally Terri and almost Jackie, but the best name prevailed. (Just a little trivia picked up from the play) I hoped that this play would be a good one, but the jury was out until the end of the performance and here is why we are so leary of Broadway plays at the Markus.

A number of years ago, I believe it was in 1995, someone in our family had the idea that going to the play Cats at the Markus would be a grand idea. I think it was me, of course, it was me. As I recall neither the girls or John were all that excited, but I made the plans and we did go. Things went downhill from the minute we arrived. I am a bit foggy here, I would probably need the girls to refresh my memory. I am not sure if John dropped the three of us off at the door or if we were all in the car turning into the Wyndam Hotel parking lot when the taxi traveling well over the posted speed hit our Neon and took off the entire cowel. At any rate, John stayed outside to file an accident report and he did manage to miss the entire first act. All of this was happening while the Packers were playing the important play off game to get to the Super Bowl. Now bear in mind that when I purchased these tickets, I had no idea the Packers would have a winning season. John had set the VCR to tape the big game and his only hope was that no one tell him the result of the game until he could watch it himself.
We somehow made it through the play. It was nothing like any of us expected. All those people in cat fur. We don't even like cats all that much. It seemed like it dragged on forever. Of course, none of us voiced these negative opinions at this point. I suppose we figured the other family mambers were enjoying the show. We left the Markus, got into our coweless car and headed to Red Lobster to eat. We actually left our cowel and license plate right there on the sidewalk in downtown Milwaukee. John took control of the radio, he wanted to make sure that music was playing at all times, so he would not hear any Packer game results before he could view that taped game.
I am not sure if the incident happened before dinner or after, but some radio announcer talked right over a song and congratulated the Packers on a fine win. Well, talk about the straw that broke the camel's back. Now not only had John (the world's biggest Packer fan) lost a cowel, missed half a bad play, had to miss a live Packer play off, but he had heard the results that he so desperately did not want to hear. All I can say is, at least it was a Packer victory, but he found little comfort in that fact. I am not sure if we watched the taped game or not, but I will tell you that we all have fun memories of the day we went to see Cats!

Those memories came flooding back as we pulled into the parking structure, hoping to do so without a taxi hitting us. We hoped to have a better experience this time with Jersey Boys and much to our relief, we did. Will we go to another Broadway play at the Markus? Maybe, but I know we will make sure it does not involve any people dressed in cat fur!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails