Sunday, August 28, 2011

Of old friends, rummage sales, new shoes, and prime rib

It's been a busy weekend. It started on Wednesday night when we met two of our college friends and had dinner with them. We had not seen Jeff and Sherri for more than thirty years. As is usually the case, it was as if no time had passed and we quickly caught up on one another's lives as well as reminiscing about our days at Carroll. I, the person who always has a camera in my hand, forgot to bring it and therefore, I have no pictures to document our fun reunion. You will just have to take my word for the fact that all four of us have aged beautifully and look not a day older than when we were in college!

On Friday afternoon and Saturday morning I had a spur of the moment rummage sale with my neighbor. Neither of us could do the city wide sale in September so she asked if I could do on this weekend. I was needing some new shoes and figured if I could make enough money at the rummage to cover the shoes, I would be happy. Sales were good and I did indeed make enough to buy two pair of shoes for me and two for John, too.
On Saturday John met up with Jeff again to do some more catching up and have a few beers. Sherri was busy with her family, so that made the rummage perfect for me.

When John got home, we headed up to Oshkosh to spend a night at the Van Auken B and B. The owners were out of town, so we had the place to ourselves. We had an ulterior motive, we had to pick up our Taurus which had been repaired up there after the exhaust system fell out.

On our way to their house, we stopped at the Sketcher's outlet to purchase all of our shoes. Here you can see our selections. I think we will be quite happy with our selections.



After picking up the car and buying the shoes, we went to Becket's for dinner. We had prime rib and it was so yummy. Top it off with a few beers and it made for a great evening, but wait, it gets even better.



We headed out to the patio where there was a live band which made the night just about perfect.

Just check out this band. They played a lot of Niel Simon, Moody Blues, and a little of this and that. We mostly enjoyed watching the old drummer who sat very low and the little preteen who played the bongos and appeared to have some sort of syndrome. It was okay music with a floor show to keep us entertained.

You can catch a glimpse of the young boy in the back of this picture

After a great night's sleep, we never woke up till 9:30, I put on my new shoes and we took a walk. John chose to use his old ones. They were very comfy and we put them to a good test since we walked four miles.

It was a gorgeous along the shores of Lake Winnebago. We were a bit stumped by this sign about ice, reminded us of the signs in the South that always say, "Watch out for ice on bridges." Needless to say, we did not have to fear any ice today.

We walked way out to the point which you can see in this picture way out there by those trees.

Here I am at the point and

here is John on the same point.


After our walk, we drove our two cars back to Watertown.

It was a fun weekend.


























1 comment:

gary guetzlaff said...

whew! talk about six days' worth of fun in one weekend! I pulled some weeds in the back alley, and went to a picnic / family reunion.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails