Friday, July 6, 2012

Melting Crayons

 At the end of the school year, I sorted through all of our thousands of crayons and took out all the broken ones with the intention of melting them into some big chunky crayons.  Well, yesterday was the day that I attempted my project.  And yes, as a Preschool teacher for over 25 years, I had never, ever melted crayons, so I had to look up the directions on the world wide web.  I tweaked them to my own supplies and I got started.
The hardest part was peeling the paper off the crayons.  The wax got stuck under my fingernails and my thumb actually started to hurt from peeling them. 
Note to self:  Next year have the preschoolers peel all crayons that I plan to use in this project.
 I used a muffin tray lined with silicon cupcake liners.  Someone had donated them to my classroom, so I didn't care if they were ruined after one melting.  They were not, by the way.
I sorted the crayons by color but then rethought and mixed things up.
 You need to fill the liners up to the top because they melt down.  I melted them in a 250 degree oven until they were completely melted.  I removed them and let them cool on the counter for 20 minutes.
 Then I put them in the fridge for another 20 minutes.  When they were cool and solid, they popped right out of the liners.
And there you have it, 16 chunky crayons and not a mess in sight.
I will definitely do this again.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails