Thursday, June 27, 2013

From Aerobics to Zumba in thirty years

When the girls were young, one of my favorite activities was going to aerobics.  Sometimes the classes were held at the senior center and sometimes they were held at the pavilion at the park.
When we had them at the park, we ended our session with some water aerobics at the outdoor pool.
Those were some good, fun days.
I made many friends through my different aerobics class.
I always enjoyed being in the front row because I always prided myself on how well I could perform.
I bought and still have a few albums that we used at our classes.
The albums were done by Jackie Sorenson.
I remember one of my favorite songs was Happy Days.
I am not sure why I gave up the aerobics, but I think, if memory serves me correctly, the girls got involved in activities which took up most of our free time.
 
Fast forward thirty years and here we are.
Zumba is my new aerobics.
I don't stand in the front row anymore because I certainly don't do the zumba steps as well as I could do those aerobic dances
I think it has to do with being 60.
It is a bit harder to keep up with the fast moves.
Zumba involves a lot more hip moving and butt shaking than aerobics did.
I really enjoy my zumba classes because it is taught by my friend, Tonya and the other people in the class are all my friends and there is no need to worry about missing a step here and there.
Courtney came with me to two of my zumba classes when she was visiting and now she is a certified zumba instructor herself.
After her two classes with Tonya, she found a place in Oshkosh where she attended an eight hour class and got her certified.
She is hoping to start some classes at Tizita's school in the fall.
 
Zumba has consumed our lives.
I guess just like 60 is the new 40, so zumba is the new aerobics.
 
If you have not read my previous post, take a look at it.
It gives you some insight into John's employment situation over the last six years.
If you don't really care about that, carry on.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails