Tuesday, November 12, 2013

My vent on Halloween candy

I wanted to post this on Facebook, but I don't like controversy on there and I thought this might cause some, so I am venting it here since this is my blog and I can write about anything that I want.
It started to ruffle my feathers when I would hear commercials about bringing your trick or treat candy into the dentist in exchange for something or other.  Or take it to the gym in exchange for a membership.  Or have it weighed at the dentist office and they would give you so much cash per pound and then they would send your candy to the troops overseas.
The final straw was a post by an acquaintance on FB last night.
It showed a picture of her daughter sporting a new skirt which she got in exchange for her bucket of trick or treat candy which her mother then dumped in the garbage.
 
Okay, so why let your kids go trick or treating if you are just going to throw the candy away.
Just go shopping instead and buy the skirt already.
I pick out my candy for my trick or treaters with care.  I buy something that I would enjoy getting if I were a kid and something that John and I can eat in case there are any leftovers.
If you are coming to trick or treat at my house, I expect you to eat the candy I gave you.
I do not want you to take it to any old dentist or gym in exchange for goods.
If you want to send candy to our troops, just send it and skip the trick or treating.
(By the way, sending candy to the troops is wonderful, I don't want anyone to think that I am opposed to that idea)
What I am opposed to is going trick or treating and then taking that candy in to be sent to them.
Buy your own candy and send it yourself.
And taking it to a gym in exchange for a membership is just plain silly.
Just join the gym and skip the trick or treating.
I get the whole thing about having so much candy especially if you trick or treat like we did and hit half the houses in town, but just do what my parents did and what I did with my daughters' candy, eat it yourself!
Let them keep all the gummy stuff and you, as a parent, take all the chocolate.
It is for their own good, take the cavities and pounds for them!
It's what we do for our kids and it is one of the perks of being a parent!
 
So, in closing, I don't want anyone coming to my house on Halloween unless they intend to keep all their candy, sharing it with their parents or eating it all themselves.
 
Stepping off my soapbox now.


1 comment:

madj said...

Here here!! Another reason to dislike the entire "holiday".

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails