Sunday, November 3, 2013

Happy 85th Birthday to my mom

My mom turns 85 on Monday.
We had a celebration for her this weekend but some of my family was absent.
Courtney and her little family had to go to Iowa for a 20 year reunion at Paul's junior college.  Truth is there wasn't much of a reunion so they ended up just having a weekend with his family.
I was pretty upset about their decision to go to Iowa on the weekend that we always celebrate my mom's birthday, especially with this being a BIG birthday.
For years and years, we have celebrated on the first weekend in November so I just assumed Courtney would save that weekend, but I guess I cannot just assume these things.
I did let her know how I felt about the whole thing and she did seem genuinely sorry that she would not be here with us celebrating.
Of course, my mom doesn't care because she is so gracious, she would never say anything anyway.
At any rate, we decided to have a great celebration with or without them.
We started celebrating on Friday night with pizza at beers at On the Rock and then at Ann's.
Lots of great conversation, memories, and fun.
On Saturday morning we were awakened with a call informing us that my Aunt Pearl had passed away.  She was 94 and had Alzheimer's.  It was a blessing, but still sad for my mom and her brother, Pearl's husband.  My Uncle had stayed by her side, living with her in the nursing home on the Alzheimer's unit till the very end.
On Saturday, our plans changed a bit as Vikki, mom, and I headed to the nursing home to spend some time with Herb.  It was sad. After 75 years of marriage, it is hard to lose a mate.  We stayed till about noon, went and did some shopping in Cedarburg, always good therapy and then met the rest of the family at Fox and Hounds for dinner.
 We enjoyed a much needed bloody mary.

The food was yummy and conversation was light and fun.
After lunch we went over to Kev and Vikki's new house for dessert and presents.
Nathan and Vikki's son Nic, who is 13 get along so well.
Nic loves that Nathan enjoys video games and is always up for playing.
Here they are strategizing about their next move, I think.
 Vikki had yummy cupcakes and pumpkin torte.
 Vikki and Kev have a beautiful home and we all enjoyed their hospitality.
 I even tried my hand at some x box bowling  It was lots of fun and I was not the loser.
 I did not however attempt the track and field events.
Here Nic and Nathan are running the hurdles and
here they are after the hurdles!
It was so much fun.
I think Marge had a great birthday!
 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails