Friday, August 28, 2009

Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country

Okay, this is going to be a little political, but mostly just some thoughts on the death of Ted Kennedy. Last night as I logged onto Charter, one of the headlines said, "What happens to Ted Kennedy now?" Well, let's see, he's dead so I guess he either goes to heaven or hell. Nothing else, that is it folks. I can't begin to know what is in his heart, that is between him and God, but he was not a very honest, good man as far as I am concerned.
Anyway, the news people kept calling Barack Obama the youngest Kennedy brother. In my humble opinion, our president is about as far away from John F. Kennedy as one can be. The only similarities I see are
- Young children in the white house
- A rather attractive wife
- Same party, but not same ideals

The difference can be seen if you just remember what JFK said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." Kennedy believed in individual rights, in government keeping their nose out of our business, in free enterprise, in the wealthy keeping their wealth, in the American dream of the middle class, in lower taxes, and on and on. He wanted us to do things for our country but he did not want us to expect our government to take
care of us with free hand outs and screwed up Health care.
So I personally do not see any similarity between Obama and JFK except on superficial things. I was only in the fifth grade on the sad day that JFK was assasinated and I remember the black cloud that fell over our country on that day. I had lots of respect for JFK as a leader, not so much as a husband, but he was worlds above his brother Ted. And if I were Obama, I would not want to be likened to Ted Kennedy for even one minute. (After all it is Barack Obama we are talking about here.)
I apologize for this post being all over the place, but I know what I am trying to say.

1 comment:

madj said...

Well "said". Just like Reagan, he did not leave the party, the party left JFK.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails