Friday, December 25, 2009

Untitled phase 2

It is 6 AM on Christmas Day. Merry Christmas everyone! I just got a call from Courtney. To their credit, they did make an attempt to get here, but they are turning around and heading back to Iowa. They will be stuck there for a few days yet and we are forced to celebrate the holiday without them. This will be the first Christmas ever since the girls were born that they will not be together at Grandma and Grandpa's Damman's for the gift opening. Over the years they have always been each other's support system at the gathering, sitting side by side and opening their gifts. Granted, we have not always been there on actual Christmas Day or Eve, but it was always the two girls together at that gathering. I will miss Courtney there today, but I know it will be Alissa who will probably miss her the most.
Now, you may be wondering what about my side of the family? Well, since Courtney got married we have had a few Christmases without her and Paul so we have learned to just find new and different ways to celebrate. Christmas Eve for us always has been church at St. John's where both girls and my brother and I were part of the gradeschool Christmas program and then gift opening afterwards and that will stay the same for years to come. It is what is expected of us and one of the few traditions this family actually has. I have yet to figure out how to fit Courtney and Paul into the mix. We have yet to come up with an alternative to celebrating Christmas that works for us. I wonder if all families have this dilema when a child marries.
I am thankful that for the time being Alissa and Nathan Christmas with us and head to his dad's the week after to celebrate with him. I appreciate that they have done this for me, it is a good gift. Once they have their own family and if they move to Bloomington in the future, they may not be able to spend each Christmas Eve and Day with us, but we will cross that bridge when we get to it.
So, plans for the rest of today, glad you asked. I have an egg dish ready to put in the oven and there will be cinamon rolls. My brother and Mal will join us for the brunch and then we will head to John's folks around noon with Alissa and Nathan. No matter what, Christmas is still Christmas and the celebration goes on.

1 comment:

Verna said...

Sorry your Christmas plans did not turn out the way you planned,but very grateful that Courtney, Paul and Tizita are not stuck in a snow bank somewhere between Iowa and home.

I'm sure you will figure out a way to celebrate each holiday working around in-laws from family members.

My mother would have told you that it is not always easy, but things normally work out for the best.

Hope you still had a wonderful Christmas Day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails