Thursday, January 7, 2010

Happy 30th Birthday Alissa!




Yep, you read that right! Thirty years ago I was just in the process of having my second baby, another little girl who we named Alissa Marie. She was born at 6:50 AM at Lakeland Hospital in Elkhorn weighing in at 8 lb. 1/2 oz and measuring 20 inches long. She had a headful of reddish hair like the hospital staff had never seen before. Her hair continues to be her crowning glory.
I watch a lot of Baby Story and I think, Wow, I would have had a great story to tell on that show. First of all, Alissa was due on Christmas and we were all set to name her Noelle, but when Christmas came and went and when New Year's Day came and went, we hit the name book yet again. Remember in those days you didn't have ultra sounds and you didn't know the sex of your baby until he/she came out. We both found the name Alissa, thought it was a lovely name and there you have it! Jacob Kenneth was our boy's choice for the length of the pregnancy.
On Monday, January 7 we were in the midst of a huge snowstorm. John had parked our car across the Highway in a business lot. We realized there was no way he could get to that car in time, so we headed off in the old Pinto. We dropped Courtney off at a neighbor's and I just hoped we would get to the hospital in time. It was a long ride even though the hospital was only a mile away.
Well, we just made it, the Doctor did not however. Alissa was delivered by a nurse about ten minutes after arriving. No drugs, no epidural (had never even heard of that), nothing! It would have made a captivating Baby Story episode! To this day, I just cannot believe there was no doctor in that hospital at that time of the day. What kind of hospital has no Doctor?
Anyway, it is time for me to go to work, so I will be closing this little saga.
Before I sign off I just want to wish Alissa a very Happy Birthday. I hope she has a terrific day because she deserves it!
Thanks, Alissa, for thirty years of happy memories with many more to come.
I love you!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails