Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Successful Birthday Celebration

As you know from my previous post, John turned 55 yesterday. I always try to make a birthday a special day of the ones I care about so John's birthday was no exception. I began by finding a lasagna recipe online that proclaimed itself as the "world's best lasagna". The perfect birthday meal for John.
I made the lasagna on Sunday. It involved simmering my own red sauce complete with hamburger and Italian sausage. If you know me, especially in recent years, you know that my cooking consists of opening cans, Hamburger helper, and slow cooker meals, so making this homemade sauce was quite an accomplishment for me and boy, did it ever smell yummy!

Here is the finished product just before we enjoyed it. And, let me tell you, it was the best lasagna that John and I had ever tasted! Success on the meal. I added crescent rolls and our favorite Italian salad, perfect way to celebrate a birthday.

John's gift from me. Sarah Palin's book which I know he will enjoy!

A long standing tradtion in our family is my mom's goody box which is filled with 20 wrapped items. The Birthday person has to guess what is in each present and we keep a running total for the year. John did not fare so well on this box. He guessed 11 of the 20 correctly. Here are just a few of the items.

Took this self portrait with my new camera. Looking good for 55!

And finally, the collage I made for John filled with memorabilia from our fun Mardi Gras night. We will hang it somewhere so that we can always remember that great party!
So. there you have it, John's 55 Birthday!






Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails