Tuesday, January 1, 2013

And another year bites the dust

If you have been following my blog for awhile then you know my feelings on New Year's Eve.
If  you don't know how I feel, you might want to go back and read a few of the New Year's posts to find out.
At any rate, I don't care for all the hoopla that is New Year's Eve.
I prefer to roll into the new year as if it is just another day which in actuality it is.
Last night John and I went to see Parental Guidance, a movie which made us laugh and cry.  It was so good because it was about grandparents.  It was a good way to start our evening or end the year whichever way you prefer to look at it.
We came home and had one of Courtney's homemade pizzas left over from Christmas.
That was yummy, too.
We both did our computer thing and I was pleasantly surprised to see how many people chose to spend the last night of 2012 at home on their computers just as if it were a normal night.  Good call people.
We watched a free movie on demand and went to sleep shortly after midnight.
It was a fine night, but there are no resolutions or goals or big dreams or hopes just because it is 2013.
 
If I reflect on last year it had its share of ups and downs.
Courtney and Paul traveled to Ethiopia to meet their son, Natnael.
Tizita spent the first 11 days of 2012 with us.
Then four days upon their return, they receive word that Natnael died and along with his death, the death of our dreams of a son and grandson.
The biggest UP and DOWN that we could have ever experienced.
In Feb. there is a referral for a little girl named Soliana which means sunshine.
In March there is a memorial service for Natnael and an annoucement that Courtney and Paul will be traveling to Ethiopia to meet their daughter.
In April the Van Auken family travels to meet Soli,
On June 29 she comes home.
The biggest UP of the year!
Of course there were all the little ups and downs, too, but these are the big ones.
 
So, if I did the whole in with the new, out with the old, I guess I would be happy to see 2012 go.  I am sure 2013 will be full of blessings and we will again have our ups and downs.
 
We did go to my friend Joan's on saturday night.
Our good friends Doe and John were there, too and we had a great time as usual.
I will end this crazy post with a picture of what the new 60 looks like.
During this year, the three of us will all turn 60
Happy New Year Everyone!

1 comment:

Verna said...

You have had quite a year! I agree with you about all the ups and downs. Sometimes we feel we h ave to. Much on our plates, But when we look back we can see how we have grown having had to deal with everyday life. Here's to hoping we both have a better and fantastic 2013, as we press toward the future my friend! Enjoying our children and grandchildren every chance we get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails