Thursday, May 28, 2009

Another school year comes to a close

I have mixed feelings today as I ended another school year with a wonderful Preschool program last night. I think I have ended some 25+ Preschool years with programs over the years and as usual I don't know exactly how to be feeling about another end. Of course I am happy for the break to enjoy some down time and rejuvenate, but there is also the sadness of sending another group of kids out into the world. There are a number of the kids that I will see daily because they stay in our school, but there are also an equal number that I will not see again because they move on to different schools and even different towns. My prayer for all of them is that wherever they end up, they will have successful school years and that somehow that will be due in a small way to their first school experience in my classroom. I also pray that I will see all of them in heaven someday.

After the program I always feel like somewhat of a star. I am asked to be in many pictures, I am presented with gifts and flowers, and I get more hugs than any one person deserves in such a short time. These are bittersweet moments. I know most of these children will not remember much about their three year old preschool years unless it is through the memories their parents give them through stories and the picture books that I give each one of them. Most will not remember who I was and for the most part I will probably forget most of their names and faces over the years as new students take up my limited brain space, but for last night I was their star teacher and they were my heroes! I do know the parents will remember me and appreciate the things I did for their child during this school year. I know that from the kind notes they gave me and all the wonderful comments from last night.
As the old saying goes (I am paraphrasing, can't remember it exactly) One hundred years from now it will not matter what kind of house I lived in, what kind of car I drove, or how much money I had, but what will matter is that I was important in the life of a child. That is really what it is all about for me and that is why I love my job so much!

My plans for this summer, you ask? Well, lots of Tizita time, a fun trip to St. George Island, Florida, and many bike trips with John. Plus lots of scrapbooking, organizing, blogging, gardening, walking, ...
Okay, I am now feeling happy again, bring on the summer break!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Can't wait to see what your summer adventures bring during your break.

Courtney and Paul said...

I can't believe you are on summer break already. I'm sure you will find more than plenty to do to keep you busy! See you on Saturday.

madj said...

The "organizing" has begun in earnest, so has the biking. I am always amazed at your ability to keep things so fresh after all these years.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails