Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Weekend recap

BUGLINE BIKE TRAIL ON SATURDAY
On Saturday we rode the Bugline trail which starts here in Merton. The weather was perfect for a bike ride, the trail is scenic and fairly level so the ride was a very good one. We did see one snake which caused me to panic a bit, but other than that all was fine.
Another fish at a playground for Tiz! Who knew so many playgrounds had fish in them?
Lunch at Pepino's in Sussex, followed by ice cream in Merton. We just eat those pounds right back on during a bike ride!
And here we are at the end of the trail, 24 miles round trip. This is in Menomonee Falls. Beautiful day for a bike ride. We had fun!

And yes, Tizu, we have yet another slide for you when you come to our house. This one was given to you by Sarah Jameson. Thanks, Sarah!

TAKING DOWN THE PUSSY WILLOW TREE BUSH ON SUNDAY
Check out these pretty garden gloves that I used for taking the pussy willow tree bush down. Well, I helped take it down, actually John "Pa" Ingalls did most of the big work. I got these stylish gloves from one of my students.
The big pussy willow bush tree before we took her down.
Here I am hauling one of the big branches up to the curb. I am wearing my pretty little garden gloves. Always looking stylish!
Pa John Ingalls with his little axe showing the bush tree who is the boss! Those trunks were really thick and hard to take down. If we owned a buzz saw it would have been much easier, but if you know us, you know we like to live like the Ingalls. I really wanted John to make us a rail fence with the wood.
This is what we are left with. An ugly stump that I prefer to call artsy and enough new shoots to still have pussy willows in the springtime. I would miss my pussy willows that I take to school each March.
These are the armstrong hand tools that John used to take that tree down. The axe handle did break in the process. The axe came from Uncle Herb's collection and has probably taken down hundreds of trees and bushes. Not sure where the hatchet came from.
So, folks, that was our weekend. Not as exciting as a visit with Tiz, but interesting, none the less.

2 comments:

madj said...

Good pic of the hops-powered tree whackers. BTW, didn't we have ice cream in Merton? Thanks for the help. I would've quit long before getting to the other two bushes.

Sherri said...

Oh, yeppers. Merton. I fixed it, done done and done.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails