Sunday, October 18, 2009

Silent Auction

Yesterday John and I were invited by friends to a dinner/silent auction to raise money for the Alpha Pregnancy Center in Watertown. We had not attended this event before but we had such a great time that we will be there again next year. The evening started with wine, beer, and appetizers while everyone bid on items. There were lots of fun things to bid on and John and I did our share of bidding. It was fun to watch all the people just milling around the tables as they were closing trying to make sure that their bid stayed as the highest. After the auction closed we all were treated to a delicious catered meal. Good fellowship for a great cause!
Here are the things we bought:This is an Avon basket. It has body lotion, shower gel, body spray, 2 necklaces, earrings, chapstick, and a mirror. Valued at $48.00, we got it for $12.00.This was an interesting Man's Shaving Basket which included soap, shaving lotions, shaving cream, hair gel, coffee (yeah, not sure what that was about) and a lavendar candle because you know every man needs his candle! John refuses to use most of this stuff anyway, but since no one had bid on this item we figured we might as well. $25.00 value for $10.00.And this is a foot care basket which includes a few different lotions for your feet as well as some loofahs and brushes for feet. There were also a few candles in here, too. Oh, and an inflatable little tub to soak your feet in with some powdery stuff to put in the water as you soak. I will not be using the items in here since I don't care to do that much with my feet, but I know someone who will enjoy it!This is our favorite and we had to overbid to get it. It was called a beer of the world basket and included some fine imported beers, herring, and crackers. I think it was valued at $25.00 and we paid $32.00. We got this fair trade coffee for an overbid. The coffee will go to Paul since he is the coffee lover in our family.This is a bracelet that I bid on just because no one else had bid on it. I didn't even look very closely at it, but got it for $5.00. As I inspected it later, I realized it says "I love mom" on it, so I will be giving it to my mom on her birthday in November.And, finally, here are two gift certificates, one for a haircut at local barber for John and one for an oil change and tire rotation. Good deals on both of those.
So as you can see, we did very well on the nice things we walked away with, but the best part is that the money we paid for these donated items will be used by the Pregnancy Center to counsel pregnant young girls who otherwise may have aborted their babies. There is no better cause than this one.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Looks like you have some of your Christmas shopping done. I think Alissa would LOVE that foot care basket ;o)

Courtney and Paul said...

You guys really made a HAUL! Geez! Happy you had such a good time there.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails