Sunday, October 25, 2009

Shakespeare and a Fall Walk


Last night we returned to our church Couples Club, a group that John and I were instrumental in starting way back in the early 80's. We were one of about six couples that met regularly to share fellowship and Christian friendship. Sometimes we included the kids, sometimes it was just for the adults. We had Halloween parties, hayrides, fun dinners, museum trips, Christmas caroling, picnics, movie dates, game nights, and many other fun activities. Somewhere between the girls' busy swim schedules, high school conflicts, and a general dislike of Sunday night outings, John and I stopped going to the group. I don't think we really missed it because we were so busy at the time, but since becoming empty nesters we have felt the desire to go back and pick up where we left off. This Saturday seemed to be the perfect time to do just that. One of the charter members lost her husband to brain cancer over a year ago. He was way too young, she is struggling. She has not been back to Couples Club since Bob died. Prior to his death they were very active in the group. The group changed its name to Christian Company so the widow wouldn't feel so funny about staying in the group. You can change the name but you cannot change how she would feel there without her husband. Anyway she decided this was the activity she was going to try and go back to and I decided along with her that this would also be the activity that John and I would go back to. We picked her up. I had my pumpkin bars and she had her garlic bread for the potluck. We walked in and I think the three of us felt right at home in the group that was such a part of our lives in the past! The conversation was good, the food was great, and it felt like we were missed and welcomed back with open arms. I would expect nothing less though, these are great people.
After the potluck we went to a play at Luther Prep School The acting was exceptional, but the play was a Shakespearian play and I found it very hard to follow. I thought it was just me, but afterward in talking with others, I realized others had a hard time keeping up with the storyline as well.
We took Pam home. She made it through the night and was still smiling as she went into her house. I hope she was okay once she got in and again realized how alone she is.
John and I went to Lyons Pub and had a few beers with Kev and his friend Vicky. Good conversation, lots of laughs, and beer that went down easily. All in all a very successful night!It was an absolutely beautiful fall day today. The air was crisp but had a warm feel to it. The sun was out just enough to make the leaves shine with color. The air had that wonderful fall smell to it, too. Add to this the fact that the Packers had just had an easy win over the Browns and the Vikings and Brett had just fallen to the Steelers, it just could not have gotten any better.Our burning bush is ablaze with color. Just look at how nice it looks. You might remember that I trimmed it up at the same time that we cut down most of the pussy willow.Our backyard is covered in a blanket of yellow maple leaves. There was no raking today though, we just wanted to walk and take it all in. John is against raking until every last leaf has fallen anyway, so we have some time yet before our tree is bare.At the end of our walk we spotted this fellow on his harley. I wish we could just bottle up this kind of a day and keep it for those very cold wintry days which lie ahead!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Love the beautiful pics. Clay and I went on a nice walk today too to enjoy the Fall weather. It's my favorite time of the year. I too wish we could bottle the days like this up for the long winter ahead.

Courtney and Paul said...

Sounds like you had a great time reconnecting with the St. John's crew. Hope to have a group like that someday, too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails