Thursday, February 17, 2011

Political views from a very non political blogger

I don't know much about politics and I certainly do not discuss politics especially with those who hold different ideas than I do. Since this is my blog though, I wanted to document a few things that are happening here in Wisconsin.
Our public school teachers as well as other state employees are protesting our new governor, Scott Walker's bill to have them pay a portion, a very small portion by the way of their health care and retirement. Today the schools all over the state were closed while the teachers marched on the capitol or maybe they shopped or just slept in. I was proud to be a teacher at a parochial school because I could feel the gratefulness of our parents as they brought their kids to school today. I find their actions selfish and wrong. (The protestors, not my parents) sorry for an confusion.
Since John has suffered his lay offs, I have a new respect for having a job. It took John six months to get his new job and we have no health insurance offered through his work nor do we have any retirement fund. John makes what he was making in 2000, taking a loss with each new job. Yet, I am not complaining because he is working and we are okay financially for now. And we are not alone in our financial woes. In "real life" we are all just surviving the best we know how. Many of my friends work for their health insurance, as in their whole pay check goes toward that while their spouse works for expense money. Sad situations, indeed. If someone could just guarantee John that he would never be laid off again, we would be so thankful and not care if we had to find and pay for our own health insurance and retirement, but that kind of promise is impossible to make at this point with our economy so messed up.
Anyway today, the democratic senators ran away so they wouldn't have to vote on the bill. What is that about? I say fire the whole bunch of 'em and hire new.
I hope when those teachers are standing on the protest line today, tomorrow and who knows how long
that they will think about all the people who stand in unemployment lines. Been there, done that and it is not fun!
Thank God for what you have and stop complaining about chipping in for a little bit of your benefits.
I am sorry this post is all over the place, but this just makes me so mad

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails