Monday, June 6, 2011

Mallory's Graduation

On Saturday, my sweet niece Mallory graduated from High School. It seems like only yesterday that the girls, my mom, and I were baking Christmas cookies when the call came that she had been born. After waiting for 13 and 15 years, Courtney and Alissa finally had a cousin to call their own! Not to mention that John and I finally had a niece. After a bit of confusion, my mom heard her name as Valerie, we were off to the hospital to give her some loving! Over the years, John and I have felt as if Mallory were like a third daughter to us. We have enjoyed her company on numerous trips and vacations. When she was only three years old, she was joining us on our visits to the girls at their colleges. On one particular trip to see Courtney at Knox College, she had brought along one entire suitcase filled with all her stuffed Scoobys. John has never let her forget that one! On another trip to IWU to visit Alissa, Mallory joined the Knox swim team which happened to be swimming at IWU that weekend. Mal wore her little suit and sat among all the college swimmers at pool edge. Such a big deal for a little girl.
She always joined us at bars in Watertown for video games and dinners. We spent many a Saturday night at the Firehouse with her and her dad. But in Illinois, anyone under the age of 21 cannot sit at a bar. Imagine our surprise when she was asked to leave the bar at an Applebee's. We all left the restaurant!

John and I took her to museums, zoos, parks, and fairs. It kept us in touch with those fun places and we always had fun with Mallory. She was a great traveler and I have so many happy memories of our outings. She filled a void when our girls both went off to college.

Mallory and I spent so much time in Toon Town playing together on the computer. She taught me everything I know about technology which really isn't all that much, but that is not her fault.

Mallory has traveled to St. George Island with us numerous times, too. Despite car trouble on our last trip, she was a trooper and we were so happy to share our beautiful Island with her. I think she loved it as much as we do.

We celebrated so many birthdays, Christmases, and other holidays with her that it was only fitting to celebrate her graduation with her, too. It was at her mom's log home and it was a fun afternoon. In the fall, Mallory heads off to UW Whitewater. I am proud of the wonderful young lady she has grown into and I like to think that I had just a little bit to do with the way she turned out!
So, congrats to Mallory. We are so proud of you. Can't wait to come visit you in college with Tizita in tow. Life really does repeat itself!




1 comment:

madj said...

Yes, congrats to our "Third Daughter", the Scoob-packin', four-wheeler, hunter cheerleader, soccer player.

Another page turns in the history book of our family. Thanks for continuing to write it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails