Sunday, October 21, 2012

Silent Auction Recap

Last night John and I attended the annual Silent Auction for the Alpha Pregnancy Center here in Watertown.  We attended this event four years ago for the first time as the guests of our friends, Larry and Ruth Parker.  We thoroughly enjoyed the evening and walked away with some lovely items from the auction.  We were able to attend the next year and again won highest bid for some great items.

Last year we were out of town for the event and gave Larry and Ruth our permission to bid on baskets for us.  We were again delighted with the items that we won that evening even though we were not there in person. Last year I also donated two baskets with some baby items and two of Courtney's beautiful hats.

This year, they did things a bit differently.  I again donated two baskets each containing a crocheted hat made by Courtney.  There were far less items to bid on this year and the time to bid was much shorter.  It was actually too short for me to even take it all in.  Tables closed the bidding so quickly that I didn't have time to bid on some of the items I would have liked.  My two baskets were going to go for such a low price that I bid on them and bought them back.  I am happy to have the items back and I know they will go to some deserving baby.  John also won the bid for a very pretty bracelet that I know I will enjoy wearing.  I think he paid $8.,00 for an $80.00 bracelet.  I also was highest bidder for a cute silver scarf which I now need to know how to tie and wear.

The most fun was the fact that three of us from St. John's were bidding on a Coach purse which one of our teachers really wanted.  We filled her husband in and told him to tell her she could not bid on it anymore!  He did that, she was disappointed and we were excited to give it to her at the end of the night.  The only problem was that there was another lady going after that purse, too and the battle was fierce.  Funny thing is, she was going to give the purse to our teacher, too if she won it, so we all chipped in $20.00 and were able to surprise Carol with the $150.00 Coach purse that she wanted to badly.  That made the night very special.

John and I also bid on an ornament that our Kindergarten teacher really wanted, but couldn't afford.  We were able to give that to her, too.  It was a good night for giving.

After the auction closed, we had a Trivia Night.  I had never participated in a trivia night and didn't quite know what to expect, but I had the best time.  Our table came in 4th out of 20.  If we hadn't second guessed ourselves, we could have won the whole thing. 
I am looking forward to next year's Auction.  Such a fun night for such a good cause!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails