Sunday, September 8, 2013

A Few Thoughts about Rummage Sales

I have had many rummage sales over the years.
It is always the same.
I start out all eager and excited, ready to make some money and get rid of lots of stuff.
About a week before the sale, I am already sick of all the "junk" around my house laying in wait for the sale.
On the day of the sale, I am again eager to watch the piles go down as people purchase my treasures.
By mid way through the sale, I am sick of it and want to pack up or just give it all away to the first taker.
By the end of the sale, I realize that someone is going to have to take all this stuff to St. Vinny's so that we can have our garage back.
And I have made enough money to buy us dinner if it is not at an expensive place.
It is at this point that I swear off of rummage sales forever.
 
But, I am weak.
A few years ago  my neighbor asked me if I wanted to have a rummage sale on the day of the big city wide sale.
She was having one and she said that two of them together would attract more people.
Well, I am weak and I can't say no, so I agreed.
That was about four years ago, John was laid off and we needed some money.  He ran the sale and actually did quite well.
I was hooked again.
 
I did take a break last year, but when my neighbor approached me again for the sale this fall, I was weak, I said, "Yes."
I regret it already as my garage is filling up with crap.
I am pricing in my sleep.
I will have lots to sell though because my brother is getting married and he has a house to clean out.
He and Mallory, my niece have lived in that house for about 18 years and I swear they have everything they ever bought over those 18 years.
So, that is why I have lots to sell this year.
 
Courtney also did some cleaning and has sent some things for me to sell.
She and Tiz will help me with the sale.
I am sure that Tiz will set up some kind of booth and be selling something.
She, like her mother, unlike her grandma, loves to sell.
 
I am really excited because John has rigged up a clothes pole in the garage so all my hanging clothes will be displayed so that people can actually look at it. I am hoping this will help with sales.
I hear it is all about presentation!
Of course, I will update on the results of the sale which will take place on Sept. 21.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails