Sunday, September 22, 2013

Another Rummage in the Books

We had quite a successful rummage sale yesterday.
A complete success in my book would be that every single item was sold, so it was not a complete success, but we did sell a lot of the crap.
The weather was a bit chilly, but there was no rain.
Our best sales were the early birds.
We opened at 8:00, by 7:30, we had already sold a good number of things.
 
Courtney came out with Tizita and Soli.
Tiz set up a lemonade and cookie stand.
It was a bit cool for lemonade, I think hot chocolate would have sold better, but the bees did enjoy the sweet drink.
At one point there were at least a dozen bees hanging around the lemonade table.

We had a steady stream of customers all day long and it was fun to watch all the items being carried off to new homes.
Quite a bit of my clothes sold and I can guarantee that I will be looking for that clothes in the near future.
Always happens to me when I sell my clothes or shoes.

After we closed up shop, Courtney, the girls, and I went over to Pam Wilke's apple tree and picked three bags full of apples.
Looks like we will be busy making apple goodies today.

John and I went out to On the Rock for some much deserved beers and pizza after the girls left.
There was a lady there who had to have the Heimlich performed on her.  I missed it, 
Ask my husband and daughters, I miss everything.  I had my back to her table and John could not get my attention to turn around.
At any rate, John said the whole bar was watching as her husband, very calmly did the Heimlich and she proceeded to sit back down and continue eating as if nothing unusual had occurred.
Very strange, sorry I missed it, glad she was okay.

Over the beers, John and I were discussing our role as grandparents and how we feel things are going.
I am always wanting to be in control of all the situations.
It is hard for me to step back and just let it all happen without my input.
Recently, Courtney made plans to go visit Paul's family on a long standing weekend of ours.
See, I have "our" weekends and "their" weekends.  (Their, being the other side of the family)
We have always, as in forever, celebrated my mom's birthday on the first weekend in November.  It is a longstanding weekend.
This year she will turn 85.
Sometimes we celebrate with overnights, sometimes with just a nice dinner at a restaurant of her choice, and sometimes just with a fun dinner at home.
The big thing is, that we always celebrate it on the first weekend in November.

Well, suffice it to say that I am sad, mad, and disappointed about this turn of events.
How do we proceed?
I am completely out of control of this situation.
Of course, I already let Courtney know that she made a big mistake here and she will hear about it until I die.  She can add it to the many other things she will hear about till I die!
I decided that we will celebrate on the first weekend in November just as we always have minus Courtney and her family.
There, I took control back.
Lissa and Nathan will be here to celebrate and that will be enough for me to have a great time.
I did ask  Courtney to pencil us in on this weekend until Marge is dead so this does not happen again.
I won't even go into the reason they are heading to Iowa but let me just say, "Who really needs to go to a Junior College homecoming?"

As John and I were discussing this unfortunate turn of events, which by the by, he agrees with me, I asked him how come it doesn't bother him as much when the girls talk about the other grandparents and all the things they get from them and do with them.
He said, "When Soli and Tiz crawled up on his lap today and snuggled into his warm chest, he could care less about anything else, because for that moment, they are totally
"with" him and nothing else matters."
I think I need to heed this good advice from my husband and just eat up the good moments that are just mine and the girls.
A few beers doesn't hurt either!
Happy Grandparenting to all.
 

1 comment:

madj said...

You know what "they" say, "men tend to marry women similar to their mothers". Well...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails