Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cats revisited!

To the best of my recollection, it was 13 years ago that I thought it would be a fine idea to go see the broadway musical Cats when it was at the Marcus Theater in Milwaukee. When you purchase tickets for such an affair you can't know that the Packers would be playing for the NFC championship against San Francisco on that very same day at that very same hour. Needless to say, John was not very excited about missing that milestone game to see Cats, but like the good husband and father he is, he agreed to go as long as we taped the game and no one told him the results until he watched it himself. More on that later...
We were driving our bronze colored Lemon, 00ps Neon, and as John was pulling into the Windsor Hotel parking lot, a cab came out of nowhere going very fast and hit us and took off our cowel. I should also mention that it was snowing very heavily at the time. So while John waited for a police officer to come and write up the accident report the girls and I headed into the theater. I remember watching the accident action out of some big windows and wondering what was taking so long. John did miss the whole first half because he had to wait until intermission to come in. In looking back, he was probably thankful for missing part of it. We did notice there were many men sitting with earphones on listening to the game during the performance. Obviously John was not the only man dragged there by a wife!
Cats is a story in itself. I had no idea what to expect and didn't really enjoy all those cats up there in those scaggily looking outfits. We don't even like animals all that much, what was I thinking? But this is not about a critique of the play itself, so enough of that.
Anyway it finally ended and we headed home leaving our front cowel with our license plate behind on a street in Milwaukee. I think we stopped to eat at a Red Lobster which was uneventful. As we were driving home, John kept turning the radio to a different station between songs so he wouldn't hear anything about the Packer game still wanting to keep the final score a surprise. This seemed to be working quite well until one announcer talked right over the song and reported that the Packers had won the game. Not that that was bad news, but it was the last straw for John! And that folks is our day at Cats. Meow, Meow...
Anyway the whole point of this is that Cats is back in Milwaukee and all Alissa could do yesterday was talk about how we all needed to go back. Cats became the focal point of all our conversation causing much reminiscing and laughter. Meow, Meow...
We did have a very fun day yesterday. John and I shopped and spent gift cards which always makes for a good shopping experience. Why is it though that we always end up spending more that the gift card? We met Alissa for dinner at McGinn's, a little Irish bar that has fantastic food. We shared a few pitchers of beer and enjoyed our dinner and Cats conversation. Always a good time when we spend it with Alissa!

5 comments:

Lissa said...

I was able to make it to the second half of Cats after you left last night. I took the same taxicab that crashed into us years ago. Today, I will be going to the 1:00 show to take it all in one last time. Knowing me and my love for Cats, I'll probably splurge and buy tickets for the 6:00 show too. It is the final day the show is in Milwaukee, so I must take it all in.

Sherri said...

Mal and I are on our way to the theater right now. We have our cats uniforms on and Mal says yours should be on too. see you the next Show Meow meos....

Courtney and Paul said...

I'm so sorry I wasn't there to experience CATS with you again. I did wear my cats costume (full make-up included) to the waterpark, however.

Sherri said...

So glad to hear that, Courtney. You were with us in spirit!

Sherri said...

So glad to hear that, Courtney. You were with us in spirit!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails