Thursday, February 26, 2009

Happy Birthday to my firstborn, Courtney!

Thirty one years ago today(actually tomorrow, the 28th, I am posting a day early since Courtney won't be around on her birthday and I wanted her to see this) I had my first baby. Courtney Lynn entered the world at 12:10 A.M. on Feb. 28. Being our first baby and not knowing anything we headed to the hospital at the first sign of a contraction. Needless to say, we were there for 18 hours with only the last one being painful. A few times it was suggested that we go home and return when things progressed a bit, but I remember thinking, "Heck no, I am not leaving here without this baby in my arms!" We hadn't confirmed a name yet and in those days there were no ultra sounds, fetal monitors, or other technology. If our baby was a boy he would be Michael John, I have always loved the name Michael. It was a toss up for a little girl between Kari (pronounced Kerry, not Caree like Paul's sister, nothing Norwegian about it) Melissa (glad we didn't choose that or we could not have used Alissa later) or Courtney. I think we always knew she would be a Courtney, but had to see her first to be sure. Since I didn't know any Courtneys I am not sure what I was looking for her to look like, to wear that name. Long story short, she is a Courtney and I have always loved her name. She is definitely a Courtney!
She shares a birthday with Grace Ingalls. We watched Ma birth Grace at 7:00 that night and I thought it really looked like a piece of cake for ma, so I figured how bad could it be for me?
She was the only baby in the nursery so she got lots of attention, I suppose. All I knew is I wanted to get out of the hospital and go home. Once we got her home John and I just sat and looked at her and wondered what two college graduates were supposed to do with this little baby. Anyway we settled into a nice routine quickly and I absolutely loved being a stay at home mom with my new baby.
Just a side note here. I watch a lot of Baby Story to see how the women handle the birth process. I have to chuckle at all the epidurals and pain medicine and IV's and whatnot... I had both my girls without a stitch of pain medication or any other medication for that matter. Just a fact for everyone out there.

Now on to the good stuff. As you all know, I have become a big fan of random lists and will make one for any occasion that comes up. That being said, here is my random list of 31 items about my firstborn, Courtney:

1. Courtney and I are way more alike than she would want to admit
2. The way Courtney kept her room in such disorder made me cringe
3. Courtney swam competitively since she was 7. We never missed a meet and we loved the whole swimming world. A world that only a swimmer and her family understand. It has its own dynamics. Courtney even swam in college. Thanks for all those great memories! There was something magical about the way she moved through that water.
4. Courtney caught me reading her notes from friends in her disorderly room one day. I gave her some lame excuse, but she was on to me. I could never get them folded up correctly again! I was the gestapo and was in her business constantly, but she never really got mad at me for it.
5. I lived my cheerleading dreams through Courtney. She was a cheerleader for 8 years. I was her coach for four years. That was a fun time, except for all the bleachers. Courtney is a natural born cheerleader, she is peppy and full of energy.
6. Courtney was a bit of a bully when she was around two. She used to push our neighbor Vanessa around a lot, but perhaps it had to do with jealousy over Vanessa head of black curly hair. She outgrew her bulliness quite quickly and was always a kind friend after that.
7. I always wanted Courtney to have a boyfriend and she did not disappoint me. She went to all the high school dances always with a different boy. Luckily she married the perfect boy for her!
8. Courtney is a wonderful mom and I pray she will have lots more little ones to fill up her world. She learned many of her mothering skills from me and I love seeing them in her.
9. Courtney was lucky in jobs. She always landed whichever job she wanted. Interviews were always an easy thing for her. She is a real people person and has a knack for making others feel good.
10. Courtney had a strict curfew all through High School and didn't abuse it. She always called if she was going to be late. I wondered why they put in a movie ten minutes before curfew time, but I guess it was a smart thing to do. I think she will enforce a curfew on her child(ren), too.
11. Courtney was a very good student. Straight A's until end of Sophomore year and then just a few B's along the way. I like to think I taught her to be the good student she was by demanding good grades but never paying for them.
12. Courtney dabbled in many activities while growing up, thanks to me. She did ballet, gymnastics, T-ball, soccer, basketball, cheerleading, cross country, (now there was a boring sport), softball, and I am sure there were many more that I signed her up for. She also went to summer school for fun and Girls Pioneers for mischief. The only activity that really stuck was swimming.
13. Courtney was in all the plays in her gradeschool. This was before camcorders so I don't have evidence of any of these. I wish I could just sit back and watch these, I miss those old days of Grade School.
14. It was a day of mixed emotions when we dropped her off at Knox College. I missed her so much but was so proud of her for choosing a college that she really loved. Knox was a good fit for her and we had so many wonderful trips to Galesburg to visit her and relive our college years.
15. Courtney took piano for many years. I hope one day she will thank me for the thousands of dollars I spent on that activity. She would have quit in a minute, but I made her keep going. She also played the clarinet for four years. I think she is a great singer, too. Music is not one of my stronger suits so she got all that talent from her dad.
16. Courtney is a pleaser just like me. It is not the easiest way to be, but it makes lots of people happy.
17. Courtney lives her faith and I am glad that she and Paul found a church on middle ground for them in Oshkosh. Who would think two Lutherans would have difficulty finding a common church that combines both the WELS and the ELCA into one.
18. Courtney has gone a bit soft since she met Paul. We raised her a bit more conservative and not so concerned about the environment and liberal politics. It is always a good source of conversation though
19. There were times when I cut Courtney's hair which resulted in crooked bangs and in a major mullet in the second grade. I don't think she will ever attempt to cut her child(ren)'s hair.
20 Shopping for dance dresses was never an easy task for the two of us. We would go in with such high hopes and excitement and then realize all too soon that we were not looking for the same style of dress!
21. Courtney and Paul got married on St. George Island which is a little piece of heaven on earth. It was a most beautiful wedding. St. George is just such a magical place for our family. I could go back again and again and again. I am so glad that I have passed that love on to Courtney.
22. I don't know if Courtney considers me a friend, but I certainly count her as one of my friends. I love spending time with her especially going out and having a few beers together. Somewhere along the journey she became my friend as well as my daughter.
23. Once in eighth grade we had quite the boy-girl party at our home. It caused quite a stir when a little strip truth or dare was played in our basement. To this day, I don't see the big deal with that whole business.
24. I don't quite know how John and I got such a terrific daughter. ( Actually two of them) It is like Courtney and Alissa grew up in spite of all our mistakes. I never thought in my wildest dreams that I could raise such marvelous women.
25. I joined facebook because of Courtney, I wanted to check out her business, but whoa, I am way beyond addicted now. I can check out everyone's business! Courtney isn't nosy like I am. She would never snoop for gifts even if they were right in front of her. She is like her dad that way.
26. Courtney just does not seem like a 31 year old to me. The time passed so quickly it is almost scary. She still has such a youthful attitude and that does run in the family.
27. Courtney is a wonderful sister. I just love the relationship that my girls have. They are best friends and always have such fun together. Makes me wish I had a sister.
28. Courtney has also been a wonderful cousin to Mallory. In many ways, Mallory is like a little sister to my girls. Courtney has taught her many useful survival tips for her teen age years.
29. Courtney has bad luck with cars. Lots of break downs, running out of gas, tickets, crashes, window breaks etc. Her run in with a semi on her way to High School was a scary event. From that day on, I always followed them so I knew they got across the highway safely. That semi hit was not her fault though-he didn't have his lights on. That is our story and we are sticking to it.
30. Courtney has always had more boyfriends than girlfriends. She just seemed to get along with boys better than girls.
And lastly number 31. Courtney makes the best chocolate caramel bars ever! She shares my sweet tooth.

So, Happy Birthday to my first born. I will be thinking about you on your special day, having a beer or two in your honor with Dad and Alissa.
Thanks for all the good memories!

2 comments:

Courtney and Paul said...

I do make a good caramel bar and I didn't know that you thought I had a good voice. As for "going soft" you raised me to be non-political and think for myself, which is what I do.

Courtney and Paul said...

Sorry! I forgot to say, Thanks for the Tribute!! Have a good day with Lissa and Cheddah, tell them Tizu says hi!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails