Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Random Valentine thoughts

Before we know it, Valentine's Day will be here. As an adult I don't care much for this holiday. As John says it was created by card, flower, and candy companies to make money. I don't give John a gift and he returns the favor. In our early dating days, I suppose we did exchange love tokens, but over the years we have given that up.
Step into my classroom and you will see a teacher who thoroughly enjoys Valentine's Day. I love watching my little ones exchange their Valentines and share their friendship with one another. This year I am having all of them make a Valentine mailbox out of a shoebox and bring it in to school to collect their Valentines. I used to make one of these every year. My dad always helped me with my box and they were always beautiful. He always helped me cover them with white tissue paper and then glue all kinds of cut out hearts on them. I wanted my little ones to have an experience like that with their parents to remember someday.

I have always heard that when you lose a loved one around a holiday, you never look at that holiday quite the same. Well, nineteen years ago on Feb. 11, my dad died at age 62. It was unexpected and sudden. He exited in a quiet, painless way ahead of any of his family or friends which is a blessing in itself. I know he has greeted numerous friends and family as they passed through the pearly gates. I like to think he is up there with either a red, white, and blue beer or a manhattan, visiting with the stars of Hogan's Heroes and the old Packers. I think for him it could not get any better than that! I look forward to the day that I will see him again.

His death has not changed my feelings toward Valentine's Day. I still look forward to celebrating it in my classroom each year. I think with a roomful of three year olds, it is hard not to enjoy the festivities of the day. And, like I said as an adult, I didn't care much for it anyway! I did put a heart made of roses up on my dad's grave and wished him a Happy Valentine's Day and thanked him for the memories of those beautiful Valentine mailboxes.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails