Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Random thoughts about my dad

Since I really enjoy doing random thoughts, I decided to do some in memory of my dad. (See previous post) His 83rd birthday is today. In ways it seems like he has been gone for a long, long time, but in other ways it seems like only yesterday. So this one is for you, Kenny...

1. My dad loved watching Hogan's Heroes and McHale's navy.
2. My dad insisted that Christmas day morning be just our family-a tradition which I have continued with my girls.
3. My dad played softball and after the games all the kids got to hang out in the local bars. I have great memories of those times.
4. Every Saturday morning my dad would take me to Tegg's Tap ( local tavern) He would get a few beers while I would have a soda and a bag of chips. Such a treat! I loved sitting right at the bar.
5. My dad got along so well with John's dad. They even went on trips together.
6. My dad loved going up north.
7. Actually my dad loved road trips. We traveled to S. Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Canada, Missouri, Michigan, Ohio. After a long day on the road we would find a small motel. He always went in to look at the room (not sure what he was looking for), then he would relax while me, my mom, and brother would walk to a shopping center or nearby attraction.
8. My dad worked at Brandt Automatic Cashier Co. all his life. He was offered some kind of early retirement thing, but I don't think he really wanted to leave and I don't think it was a very good deal.
9. We never called my dad at work. I figured once he was in that factory he could not be disturbed.
10. My dad once bought us a new fawn colored dodge dart for Easter and said the Easter bunny brought it.
11. My dad was a very social guy. He had so many friends and genuinely enjoyed being with people.
12. My dad always wanted me to be a stewardess, now referred to as a flight attendant.
13. My dad was very proud of me when I went off to college and I think he missed me. He would leave me little notes on his memo from Ken pads about finances and money matters. I still have those little notes.
14. My dad loved to do laundry.
15. My dad loved to do laundry because he liked to spend time in the basement where his bar was located. The bar is still there just as he left it.
16. My dad collected beer cans. Sometimes I wish I still had that collection but we recycled it.
17. My dad paid me ten dollars to go out for cheerleading. He just really wanted me to be a cheerleader, I did not make it, but he let me keep the money.
18. My dad burned our waste paper in our fireplace each Saturday morning. Once an aerosol can got in there, not sure how that happened, Kevin!
19. I wish my dad could have known Courtney and Alissa as adults and met their husbands.
They were just ten and twelve when he died.
20. The dentist told my dad that he had gum disease and his teeth would fall out, my dad said, "I will be back when they all fall out." Quite a few did indeed fall out!
21. My dad once got his foot in the lawnmower. I still remember the sound of that mower stopping suddenly. After that he always wore spiked golf shoes while mowing.
22. My dad was the only driver in our family and once I got my license he controlled the car. I very seldom got to drive.
23. My dad used to stop on our road trips and have a beer and a shot of brandy at the waysides along the route.
24. My dad let me sit on his lap while he was driving and turn the steering wheel.
25. My dad ran along side my bike while I learned to ride my two wheeler.
26. Mosquitoes never bothered my dad and he would make me feel bad for not staying outside longer on nights.
27. My brother and I saw my dad and his friend, Floyd on the bar singing "Red roses for a blue lady" one fourth of July. My mom sent us down to the orange boards at the park to tell him to come home and we peeked in the windows and saw him.
28. My dad loved tobaggoning. He even stood up on the tobaggon going down the hill.
29. My dad loved watching my brother play basketball and baseball. I don't think he ever missed a game.
30. My dad loved the fourth of July. I love that holiday, too.
31. My dad loved his beer. I love my beer, too.
32. My dad made my Valentine boxes for me. He also made the signs I needed to wear at our school track meets listing my events.
33. My dad loved big band music. He had been known to play his belt on more than one occasion.
34. My dad went to Wethonkitha Club once a month on Thursday nights. It was a social club for Lutheran men, but I think it was more of a drinking night. He always came home late and brought my mom a Zwieg's hamburger on those late nights.
35. My dad was a controller, so am I.
36. My dad liked things in order. He had a place for everything and didn't like clutter or messes I don't like messes and clutter either.
37. My dad was a faithful man, he believed in God and heaven although he wasn't verbal about it.
38. I don't know my dad's political views, he was quiet about them.
39. I never heard my dad swear and I don't remember him raising his voice very often.
40. In ways I miss my dad, but I would never wish him back. The Lord took him before all his friends because God knew it would have been too hard on my dad to see his friends get sick and die. He really did have a soft heart!

I wrote this two years ago and I had to add two more things to my list:
41. My Dad loved a good Delmonico steak
42. My Dad wore vinyl shoes which led to a few unfortunate slips

So, tomorrow, I will stop and remember all the great things about my dad and if it weren't a Wed. I would probably drink a beer for him, but that will have to wait until the weekend.
Rest in peace, Kenny!

4 comments:

Kim said...

What a very touching thing to do to remember your dad today. It is a very nice list. I can tell without a doubt that Kenny was a wonderful father. Thanks for sharing!!!

Lissa said...

What about the vinyl shoes? Ripped all his fingernails right off when he slipped under the car. HA! Ah Kevin, you done it again.

Courtney and Paul said...

I look forward to having a beer in honor of Kenny this weekend, also.

Sherri said...

I know I forgot about the delmonico steak, too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails