Friday, June 26, 2009

An early morning walk

I just returned from a nice long walk that took me over 4 miles which included a walk through the cemetery. (You may remember a past blog about my love of cemeteries) The humidity is finally going away so it was comfortable enough to walk such a distance, it is still hot, but it just helps to have that humidity down. Anyway I visited my dad's grave and took a moment to reflect upon a few things that he would be thinking if he were still with us here on earth:
1. He would be loving the heat and humidity. He was one of those people who started wearing his shorts on the first warm day be it in March, April, or May and he never looked back. He wore shorts then all summer. I am a lot like that, I guess. Once I have my shorts on I like to keep them on for the season. Plus I inherited my dad's long, lean legs so I suppose we like to show them off!

2. My dad would have been gearing up for another 4th of July celebration. Again, I posted about his love of the 4th in a previous entry. He would be watching the parade, toasting his country, and grilling the brats. This year he would have been especially excited since Tizita will be here celebrating with us. The 4th is another one of those holidays that is more exciting with a child around.

3. I can't help but think how disappointed my dad would be with the direction our country is going right now. He knew that when you take Christ out of our country you are going to hell in a handbasket.

So that is what I thought about at his graveside. I then proceeded on to visit numerous friends taking a few moments to just remember some happy times with them. Then it was on to my grandparents (both sets) graves. I had my ipod on during this walk and "I hope you dance" was playing at this time. I had to smile and say to myself, "Yep, all these people were not afraid to dance and live life to the fullest." And now they are dancing in the happiest place ever!

I did not spend my whole walk in the cemetery, it was actually just a small part of the whole walk. I also was inspired by Jimmy Buffet, Rod Stewart, Martina McBride, Alan Jackson, and others as they joined me for this walk. Everything just looks a little better when you have these singers along.
The last song that I ended the walk on was "Bridge over Troubled Waters" which brings me way back to the age 17, chicken pox, and a High School Sweetheart. Oh, the memories...

1 comment:

madj said...

Bob Hope always ended his show by singing "Thanks for the Memories". I thank you for these memories.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails