Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Great minds think alike and other tidbits

John and I celebrated our 33rd anniversary on June 12. We spent the day driving on our way to St. George Island. We didn't' do anything particularly special, didn't go out for a nice dinner, or buy each other nice gifts after all 33 years is not a milestone year by any means. We did buy each other a card and as you can see in the picture, we each picked out the same card for one another. Now if that doesn't prove that great minds think alike, I don't know what does!
Over the years we have done some pretty cool things to celebrate anniversaries. We have flown to NYC for the day, spent a week in Hawaii, spent the night in a pink convertible, slept in a jungle theme room, toured Lambeau field, toured house on the rock, spent a few anniversaries in Door County, spent time in beach houses, gone out to nice dinners, and taken long bike rides. I guess we always feel that when our anniversary rolls around we need to celebrate it in some way sometimes big and sometimes small, but a celebration none the less. After all in this crazy world staying together is something to celebrate! Congratulations to all my readers who, like us, have stayed together during the good, the bad, and the ugly!

On a different note, I got to spend this morning with Lynne and her grandkids. It has been a long school year and I am glad that we get to have our weekly get togethers again. We walked to the park, but the heat (high 90's) drove us home. The boys rode around in the little cars while Lynne and I chatted in the shade. Meghan played in the house with Grandma Marge. Next week Meghan is helping me plan a pool party. I look forward to Tizita joining us for some of these fun Wednesday mornings! This is one of my favorite parts of summer.

Speaking of Tizita, she and her mama and papa should be leaving Cleveland today. (Cleveland, armpit of the US or as Sigmund Snopek said, "thank God, this isn't Cleveland!") and heading to the Chicago area on their last leg of a long journey home. I figure she probably feels they have left their home in Oshkosh and will from now on sleep in tents or motels and spend the remainder of the time in her car seat. I think she will be happy to get back to her big house in Oshkosh tomorrow!

And on one last note, I am heading up to my Aunt and Uncle's house shortly to help them pack up for their move to Sussex. They are both 90 and unable to live on their own so far from their son and daughter in law so they will be relocating to the same apartment complex that Bob and Pat live in. It has been a long process of packing, throwing, sorting, etc. They have lived in their home for all of their 70 years of marriage and they have accumulated much. To some it might seem like junk but each piece holds memories of days gone by. It must be hard for them to watch so much being thrown out, little bits of their lives just pitched in the garbage or given to Goodwill, but that is how life works. As I work on my scrapbooks, part of me wonders why I put so much into them because someday I am sure someone will just pitch them out... Life seems so unfair at times but that is how it goes, I guess.

3 comments:

madj said...

While it was unexpected to see you bought me the identical anniversary card, I can honestly say I am not shocked. We celebrated #33 for an entire week on "our" island. ILY.

Verna said...

A night in a car? Might be an interesting story.

How funny that you bought each other the same card. That is so cute.

Kim said...

That's so funny you guys bought the same card. Congrats on the 33rd anniversary!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails