Sunday, September 5, 2010

An annual visit to the Dells and a ride on the ferry

After our time in Sauk City, we decided to revisit a few of our old haunts. I have always loved taking the Merrimac Ferry across the Wisconsin River. I can't remember the first time I took it, but I do know that we made several crossings with the girls as they were growing up. I also remember as they got older, they didn't enjoy waiting for the ferry, this was about the same time they lost their patience with scenic routes. One time when we were returning home from the Dells, I told John and the girls that I wanted to take the ferry. I looked on the map and told John how to get to the ferry stop. He conveniently missed the turn off and all three of them seemed too happy to me for it to have been a mistake!
I was very happy that John agreed to take the ferry today on way from Sauk City to the Dells. We actually took it the opposite way this time so instead of starting in Merrimac, we ended up in Merrimac. We had to wait about a half hour in a long line of ferry riders. It is quite the business. People turn off their cars and hang out waiting for their turn to get on the ferry. It is so worth the wait when you drive on and take the five minute ride. A definite Wisconsin summer activity. After getting off the boat, we made our annual trek to Wisconsin Dells. I always want to go there, but once I am there in amongst all those people, I wonder why I am there. We did find a nice beer garden at Gilly's and had a late lunch of yummy pulled pork. We walked up and down Main Street and went into a few shops that sell the cedar boxes, key chains, and other assorted memorabilia. When we used to visit the Dells with the girls, Alissa and I loved these shops, we both love to touch things and there was so much to touch. Courtney, on the other hand, had to sit outside because she could not take all the things in those stores! They no longer seem so great to me anymore either.
We did discover a nice new riverwalk which was a step off of Main Street and into quieter parts of Wisconsin Dells. I enjoyed that.
We headed home through Portage with a stop at the Wisconsin River in Riverside Park which is a place we always stopped on our trips up north. So many memorable places revisited on this trip! Be sure to read the previous post to see what we did in Sauk City before riding the ferry.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails