Sunday, December 19, 2010

Another Christmas office party for the books or in this case, for the blog

Over the last 35 years, I have gone to many, many office Christmas parties with John. Since he has had at least nine employers over those years there have been many different themed parties as well as way too much small talk for me. I think we have gone to most of the parties. As I recall at least one employer opted for a honey glazed ham instead of a party which suited me just fine. I have always dreaded the required summary of the business year. I find it boring and the tooting of one's own horn. I have also dreaded the necessary small talk with people that I don't really know or care about but such is the business of Christmas office parties.

You may recall that I had quite the fun time at John's party last year due in part to the amount of hurricanes consumed. But, alas after the lay off we would not be attending that business's party again.
This year's party was held at the Green Acres in Sauk City. There were just thirteen people attending which is the whole office except for two single guys who were not able to attend. The thirteen included the owner, Cheryl, her husband, Scott, their two teenage sons, her dad who started the company and is now 87, and four other employees and spouses.
The small talk was very easy this year. These people were very friendly and I really enjoyed them. It reminded me of our very first Christmas party in Elkhorn and the reason was because of the ages of the other employers.
At that very first party all the other employers were our age (young) and just beginning their lives, having their children, and our interests were similiar. We became fast friends with those people and I felt the same way about the people last night due to the fact that they were our age within ten years, both older and younger and we had lots in common again. All in all, it was a great, fun night which ended early because that is how it is with older people.

Here is the restaurant which is really a lovely place and the steaks were yummy.

This is the motel we stayed at which is across from the restaurant. It wasn't fancy, but we got the upgraded "big" room so that was nice.
The decorating in the room was a bit quaint to say the least. The phone was a princess trimline and this is the table in between the beds. Notice the clock, you usually don't find these in most motel rooms.

And here is our big room.
Here are the rules posted on the wall. Simple place but many rules.

So another Christmas party down. I hope we are with these people again next year, but we all know we have no control over that.
Remember to check out my previous post and leave a comment.






No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails