Sunday, January 9, 2011

Martinis, Tulips, and Memories

Last night John and I had dinner with my college roomate, Joan. We went to a restaurant called Tulips which serves Turkish cuisine. I wasn't sure what I would be ordering as I previewed the menu online earlier in the day, but decided to be brave (I am known for a picky palate) and ordered lamb shishkabobs. This decision did come after an Evil Eye martini which probably hampered my decision making skills a bit! Joan is Armenian and she grew up eating many of the ethnic dishes that were available at Tulips. We started with two appetizers and our martinis. We had sarma which is rice wrapped in grape leaves, (highly reccommended by Joan because she remembered it from her childhood) and some meatballs in a green pepper/tomato sauce. So far, so good especially the martinis, in case I haven't mentioned them yet.
Joan had lambchops, John had talapia and I had the shishkabobs. All was very yummy indeed. Our waitress was Russian with a cute accent. She never rushed us one bit, but let us take as much time as we wanted between ordering and then just sitting at the end. Very nice relaxing night.
We ended the night with a beer at Joan's. We also got to see her DVD from her trip to Morocco. It was so well done it could have been on the travel channel.
We look forward to our next visit sometime in March.
Just one funny note. Joan said she would love to bring her mom to this restaurant to have some of the good dishes, but she is afraid her often outspoken mom just might say, "You people killed my people!" (you know, the Turks who took over the Armenians)

1 comment:

madj said...

It was so nice of you two lovelies to buy that unfortunate old man a drink and have a photo taken with him. What humanitarians

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails